1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Lessons from ME/CFS: Finding Meaning in the Suffering
If you're aware of my previous articles here at Phoenix Rising then it's pretty clear that I don't generally spend my time musing upon the philosophy of the disease. I find it better to spend my time reading research and trying my best to break it down to its core elements and write...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is ME due to Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome "stretchy veins"

Discussion in 'Connective Tissue Disorders/Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome' started by Allyson, Nov 12, 2012.

1. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  2. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  3. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  4. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    ( EDS is not thought to be rare tho now)

A
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 14, 2014
  5. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  7. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Genetics of Valvular Heart Diseas

Abstract

Valvular heart disease is associated with significant morbidity and mortality and often the result of congenital malformations. However, the prevalence is increasing in adults not only because of the growing aging population, but also because of improvements in the medical and surgical care of children with congenital heart valve defects. The success of the Human Genome Project and major advances in genetic technologies, in combination with our increased understanding of heart valve development, has led to the discovery of numerous genetic contributors to heart valve disease. These have been uncovered using a variety of approaches including the examination of familial valve disease and genome-wide association studies to investigate sporadic cases. This review will discuss these findings and their implications in the treatment of valvular heart disease.

Genetics of Valvular Heart Disease

S LaHaye, J Lincoln, V Garg - Current Cardiology Reports, 2014

... LDS has a similar phenotype to Marfan syndrome and interestingly is caused by mutations in
    TGF-β receptors 1 and 2 (TGFBR1 ... tissue dysplasias caused by mutations in a variety of collagen
    genes are also characterized by MVP and include Ehlers-Danlos (EDS), Stickler, and ...

Current Cardiology Reports April 2014, 16:487

A
  8. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Clinical Rheumatology April 2014
    Heart rate, conduction and ultrasound abnormalities in adults with joint hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobility type
    Abstract
    Joint hypermobility syndrome (JHS) and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobility type (EDS-HT) are two clinically overlapping heritable connective tissue disorders strongly associating with pain, fatigue and other secondary aspects. Though not considered a diagnostic criterion for most EDS subtypes, cardiovascular involvement is a well-known complication in EDS. A case-control study was carried out on 28 adults with JHS/EDS-HT diagnosed according to current criteria, compared to 29 healthy subjects evaluating resting electrocardiographic (ECG), 24-h ECG and resting heart ultrasound data. Results obtained in the ECG studies showed a moderate excess in duration of the PR interval and P wave, an excess of heart conduction and rate abnormalities and an increased rate of mitral and tricuspid valve insufficiency often complicating with “true” mitral valve prolapse in the ecocardiographic study. These variable ECG subclinical anomalies reported in our sample may represent the resting surrogate of such a subnormal cardiovascular response to postural changes that are known to be present in patients with JHS/EDS-HT. Our findings indicate the usefulness of a full cardiologic evaluation of adults with JHS/EDS-HT for the correct management.

Heart rate, conduction and ultrasound abnormalities in adults with joint hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobility type
    F Camerota, M Castori, C Celletti, M Colotto, S Amato… - Clinical Rheumatology, 2014
    Abstract Joint hypermobility syndrome (JHS) and Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, hypermobility type (EDS-HT) are two clinically overlapping heritable connective tissue disorders strongly associating with pain, fatigue and other secondary aspects.

A
  9. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  10. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
  11. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    here is the link

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/dr-francomano-on-chiari-malformation.30233/

Joint hypermobility syndrome/Ehlers-Danlos syndrome hypermobility type: constructing a rehabilitative approach
    C Celletti, M Castori, G Morico, F Camerota - International Journal of Clinical …, 2014
    EhlersDanlos syndrome hypermobility type (EDS-HT) is a heritable connective tissue disorder mainly characterized by joint hyper mobility, chronic/recurrent pain, joint instability complications and minor skin changes [1]. Recently, a group of international experts ...

here is the link
    Last edited: May 14, 2014
    Esther12 likes this.
  12. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Autonomic symptom burden in the hypermobility type of Ehlers-Danlos syndrome: A comparative study with two other EDS types, fibromyalgia and healthy controls
    D Wandele Inge, C Patrick, P Wim, R Steven… - Seminars in Arthritis and …, 2014
    Aim This study provides insight into the profile and importance of autonomic symptoms in the hypermobility type (HT) of Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome (EDS). The impact of these symptoms is put into perspective by comparing with fibromyalgia (FM) and two other EDS types. ...

A
  13. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    The genetic basis for aortic aneurysmal disease
    Heart 2014;100:916-922 doi:10.1136/heartjnl-2013-305130

Review

Aortic disease review series

Athanasios Saratzis

Matthew J Bown

click on this link for article

http://heart.bmj.com/content/100/12/916.short

A
    Last edited: May 26, 2014
  14. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Allyson likes this.
  15. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    Built Wrong

someone else who passed away from EDS

SO many are undiagnosed we do not know the real mortality rates
    another reason to check out EDS/POTS

http://jottify.com/works/being/

A
  16. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    EDS is known cause of Aneurysms and in mentioned n text

will chase up the link if it is working - thanks for letting me know\

those links were just to authors and have been removed now

Ally
  17. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I don't see EDS mentioned in the text. If one of the genes mentioned is an "EDS gene," it would be good to mention the connection in your post.

Sushi
    Allyson likes this.
  18. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    EDS was in e clip I got - it is hard to post the clip and the link - did you read the full text? I have not been e to access full text yet

just sent this Australian ABC Radio National clip - thanks Leanne - who notes the EDS facial features on the trapeze artist with " chronic fatigue" - soft stretchy skin, heart shped face large eyes, attached earlobes etc

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/lifematters/the-chronic-fatigue-of-circus-life/5478904?WT.mc_id=Innovation_Radio-RadioNational-LifeMatters|SpenserInwoodTheChronicFatigueOfCircusLife_FBP|abc

A
  19. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    is this the article you mean sshi in aneurysms

http://heart.bmj.com/content/100/12/916.short

you need to buy the full text it seems

Aneurysms are a very common cause of death in EDS sadly - My cousin had one that ruptured and left her in
    not good shape at all
    SHe never even knew she had one sadly until it ruptured suddenly spontaneously

Ally
  20. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne

See more popular forum discussions.