1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is M.E contagious ?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by AndrewB, Aug 8, 2011.

1. Sparrowhawk

Sparrowhawk Senior Member

West Coast USA
  2. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

Not worth worrying about imo.

Lots of things in life are uncertain, but there isn't good evidence for CFS being contagious in the way that something like HIV is. It is complicated though, as there does seem to be a genetic component which can effect families, and it's also likely that lots of different conditions get lumped together under the 'CFS' label - so some of them could be contagious.

I'd worry more about catching stuff from them, as illnesses can affect people with CFS worse than is normal.

Personally, I avoid exchanging saliva with too many people, and wouldn't give blood or anything like that, but I don't worry about it beyond basic hygiene things. Lots of people who are healthy could be harbouring some life changing pathogen - who knows? One can either descend to life destroying paranoia, or enjoy a hug every now and again.
    xchocoholic and Sparrowhawk like this.
  3. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US

Yes you hear of spouses contracting the illness, but many of those could be from identical exposures, in my opinion. For example, because they both live in a house with mold, both ate something and got a parasite, both had high stress for three years, or both traveled somewhere and got a virus.

For related people, then what you said is a big factor too, one of them having a milder ME/CFS that later is worse and gets diagnosed. Or they have the genetic predisposition and only get sick after some event, like catching a bad virus years after the first relative was diagnosed.
  4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
  5. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
  6. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    just because close family members have it do not mean it is contagious - could be genetic too- similary sposees ma choose each other for similar lifestyle qualities

A genetic illness may not manifest for many years so may appear to "COME on " when in fact symptoms are just beginning to manifest

however many are now being tested for and diagnosed with LYme disease so you may want to check that out too as that has not been tested for much until now and is difficult to test for too. this may account for the cluster outbreaks and have similar symptoms to ME/cfs

Ally

See more popular forum discussions.