May 12, 2017 Is International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day
International ME/CFS and FM Awareness Day is May 12th, 2017. Jody Smith shares some information about upcoming events and ways you can be heard ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

is late stage Lyme a time sensitive thing like ME?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Aerose91, Jun 22, 2014.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

I know any disease is easier the earlier it's caught but is Lyme much less likely to recover if we don't catch it within the first few years like ME is? I'm undergoing more intense tests now because Lyme is the only thing that explains my brain synptoms- but given how severe they are I worry that even if caught it may not be fully reversible.

2. Sushi

Sushi Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    My guess is that long-term untreated Lyme can initiate the cascade of dysfunctions that we call ME. I'd guess a number of things could precipitate ME--either singly or together.

Untreated Lyme patients are recovering functionality to a greater or lessor extent...but it seems to take about 3 years of the right sort of treatment.

Sushi

justy, Helen, Hanna and 2 others like this.
  3. Valentijn

Valentijn Senior Member

My impression is that some symptoms might remain in late stage Lyme, especially neurological ones. But it also sounds like there is usually dramatic improvement after treatment, even if it's not always a full recovery.

I'd be happy just to get up to about 50% on the various ME/CFS disability scales :rolleyes: Something where I can consistently take care of myself, and usually do house work as well would be awesome.

roxie60, Sushi, maryb and 5 others like this.

See more popular forum discussions.