• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is it possible heavy metals from titanium and nickel braces could contribute to CFS/ME?

I was ill with shingles about a month before getting metal braces. 48 hours after having them fitted I went into a fog, glands up, pins and needles anxiety insomnia (usual stuff) and stayed that way until 22 months later. At the 21 month point I'd had my braces removed due to suspecting it may have contributed towards my immune system falling to pieces. I did get a diagnosis of glandular fever though from blood results.

Im at about 90% physically thankfully. Has anyone else experienced braces and CFS?!

Mary

Moderator Resource
I was ill with shingles about a month before getting metal braces. 48 hours after having them fitted I went into a fog, glands up, pins and needles anxiety insomnia (usual stuff) and stayed that way until 22 months later. At the 21 month point I'd had my braces removed due to suspecting it may have contributed towards my immune system falling to pieces. I did get a diagnosis of glandular fever though from blood results.

Im at about 90% physically thankfully. Has anyone else experienced braces and CFS?!

First, I'm glad to hear you are at about 90% physically! :thumbsup:

After a very long, slow onset (13 years I think), I came down with full-blown ME/CFS in 1998 - that's when I started crashing (PEM). In 2006 I was fitted with braces (titanium) and they did not affect my functioning at all. I felt no different afterwards. However, I think it's quite possible that heavy metals can affect immune functioning. So there may be a connection in your case but of course can't say for sure.

However, there may very well be a connection between shingles (varicella zoster) and ME/CFS: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/5806

And glandular fever of course -

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Since we don't know what ME/CFS is (disease mechanism) there is no way to really tell. I wish i could give you a better answer :bang-head:

Don't they use heavy metals in vaccinations such as mercury in order to create an immune system reaction?
This link from Dr Myhill talks about interactions between heavy metals and the immune system.
see under immune adjuvants:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Auto...nmental_approach_to_treating#Immune_adjuvants.

Personally I have 2 nickel crowns on my front 2 teeth and a mouth full of mercury amalgams so I have wondered about replacing all these at some point but then the options available to replace them don't sound bullet proof either so i have left it, but I would like to try it at some point and see.

barbc56

1. I recently had braces for two years. They had no effect either way.on my health.

My personal opinion is that the focus on heavy metals is misguided and unless you are exposed to a very large amount of metals you'd probably be very sick anf be in the hospital. It depends on the dose.

Alternative doctors make a lot of money from convincing patients that they suffer from this. This may delay treatment that are more helpful and science based.
"Advocates for detox typically describe the liver and kidney as acting like filters, where toxins are physically captured and retained. It’s argued that these organs need to be cleaned out periodically, like you’d squeeze out a sponge, or change the air filter in your car. But the reality is that the kidney and liver don’t work this way. The liver performs a series of chemical reactions to convert toxic substances into ones that can be eliminated in bile or urine. The liver is self-cleansing — toxins don’t accumulate in it, and unless you have documented liver disease, it generally functions without any problem. The kidney excretes waste products into the urine — otherwise the substance stays in the blood. Anyone that suggests these orga"ns need a “cleanse” is demonstrating that they don’t understand basic anatomy or physiology."

https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-one-thing-you-need-to-know-before-you-detox/

Last edited:
I am just learning how to deal with this, but I recently found out I have titanium staples allergy which is being caused by surgical staples that were left in my body 27 years ago. I've been sick for 24 years. I think it's the length of time you are exposed. If you don't get rid of the metals your body will never stop trying to eradicate them for you.

I honestly don’t think it’s the metals roaming around in your body and it trying to detox, but your immune system trying to rid itself of the foreign substance made out of metal. I read one account where the offending metal, surgical staples, was removed and the patient recovered pretty quickly.

I have had braces on my teeth twice (a total of five years) along with the surgery staples and amalgam fillings. I believe my immune system has gone haywire with trying to rid itself of the foreign metals over the years. In the last 24 years I have accumulated a dozen autoimmune diseases. My immune system is so wonky it reacts to water at this point.

If I take a probiotic with titanium dioxide in it I feel like I am going to die. I’m sure part of it is a reaction to the high histamine probiotics themselves, but also the titanium. I had no clue that titanium dioxide was so prevalent until I started reading the inactive ingredient lists. I did not put the pieces together until I started keeping a diary of everything I put in or on my body … not just foods. I had to throw out all of my vitamins and supplements because every single one had titanium dioxide in it. All these years of trying to take healing things only to find out I was causing more harm by giving my body something it kept trying to get rid of.

Alternative medical doctors are the only doctors who will listen to someone with metal toxicity symptoms with the focus on detox. I mean they can't remove your braces, fillings, or your staples, but they can, and will, sell you lots of detox supplements that just make things worse.

Surgeons won't admit that surgical staples cause autoimmune disease so they aren’t going to remove them for you … or even talk to you about it

Medical doctors have no idea about metal toxicity OR autoimmune disease OR viruses

It is horrific that so many people are so sick

I hope that at some point all of us can find our way to feeling better.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wayne

If you don't get rid of the metals your body will never stop trying to eradicate them for you. ...... I honestly don’t think it’s the metals roaming around in your body and it trying to detox, but your immune system trying to rid itself of the foreign substance made out of metal. I read one account where the offending metal, surgical staples, was removed and the patient recovered pretty quickly.
Hi @Lucy1996, @lilwren -- About 20 years ago, I had all the amalgams removed from my mouth, and noticed some incremental benefit. About a year later, I had about 5-6 metal crowns removed, and the results were far more noticeable. My wife commented several times in the following weeks how much better my brain was functioning. -- I now believe I wouldn't be alive today had I not had all that metal removed.

It's great that you got better brain function when you removed the crowns Wayne. Being sharp one hundred percent of the time is something I miss a great deal. Maybe having the metal so close to our brains keeps our brains inflamed. I wish these health problems weren't so much detective work and experimentation. I still have two crowns and keep thinking if I had them removed I would see more improvement too, but it scares me. Did you do any chelation afterwards Wayne? The doctor I had, when I replaced all my fillings, kept telling me to do IV chelation, but she was never sure about it so I ended up taking an oral chelator for several months ... which i brain faded on the name right now ... sorry it's been a long day and i'm brain dead. I was always scared to chelate and get the metal excited so to speak and moving everywhere. I'd love to get the metal completely out of my body.

Wayne

Did you do any chelation afterwards Wayne? ...... I'd love to get the metal completely out of my body.
No, I never did chelation. I ran across a website called DMPSBackfire.com, and it scared the bejesus out of me. I'd heard other heavy metal detox horror stories as well. I did get into the habit of doing what I considered gentle and methodical detoxing. I started doing occasional bentonite clay foot baths and baking soda and epsom salts baths.

I like having something in/on my body at all times to absorb/adsorb any heavy metals that get mobilized, by whatever means, so I also regularly put bentonite clay and charcoal in an apple cider vinegar fasting drink which I drink daily. In addition, I make a clay "slurry", and occasionally spread a very thin layer of it on my body after I shower. It dries in about 3-4 minutes, and I like how I feel afterwards (a little more fortified). I feel this absorbs toxins both within and outside my body.

Recently I started doing Sodium Thiosulfate (STS) baths, which is a great detoxifier as well. It's used in mainstream medicine for arsenic poisoning, and works by changing the chemical composition of it--not transporting it out of the body in its toxic form. It also dechlorinates water, and detoxifies a number of other heavy metals. Its sulfur component and action is somewhat similar to MSM and DMSO, both of which have reputations for breaking down and dissolving heavy metals.

P.S. STS is the compound that gives sulfur hot springs their rotten egg smell. Don't know if you've ever been to one of those springs--which are reputed to have great healing qualities--but you can create your own hot springs just by buying a few pounds of the STS crystals and putting them in your bathtub. And it's great that it dechlorinates the bathwater besides! -- Below is what I ordered and was happy with my purchase:

Sodium Thiosulfate "Na2S2O3 5H2O" *Water Dechlorinator* Minimum 99% purity! 10lb

BTW, 1 pint of this can dechlorinate 25,000 gallons of water!

Last edited:
The STS sounds interesting and I bet it's a soothing bath. :) I wonder if it would leach the metals that are still in my body. If my memory is correct sulphur is good for autoimmune disease in general. i'll have to order some STS next chance I get and try it ... thanks for the suggestion.

i've been trying milk thistle as a detox and the first day it seems to help and the next time i take it my lymph node pain goes through the roof. Crazy immune system!

I take charcoal capsules every now and then. I initially feel better, but the benefits only last a day or so ... I guess my immune system finds a way around it? Ages ago I used liquid bentonite clay as a colon cleanse, but don't remember the results. I have charcoal and clay in the house so may try to put it on after a shower. You rinse it off don't you? I'm thinking i could slather it on and sit in the shower for a bit and then rinse it off?

Wayne

You rinse it off don't you? I'm thinking i could slather it on and sit in the shower for a bit and then rinse it off?
Actually no. It's such a small amount, that it dries quickly, and is not visable in any manner. I actually got the idea for this while reading about the cleanup workers at Chernobyl. Before putting on their protective suits, they would cover their skin with a bentonite clay mixture to absorb/adsorb the radiation. I assume they put it on thick, and did wash (or scrape) it off afterwards. I also mix my bentonite clay slurry with small amounts of DMSO, to help it get deeper into my skin.
The STS sounds interesting and I bet it's a soothing bath. :) I wonder if it would leach the metals that are still in my body.
If you ever decide to follow up on this, I can send you some information I've accumulated. It wasn't easy to find much information online, so I could provide you with a bit of a shortcut. You'll want to be aware that it depletes or dissolves calcium. This can be beneficial, and is also used by mainstream medicine for situations in which there's calcium buildup. But you have to make sure you don't deplete the calcium in your body that you need. I find egg shells to be the best way to supplement with calcium--even better than bone broth.

i tried the clay this afternoon. i mixed it up pretty thin and applied a thin layer and went out to pull weeds. it triggered my lymph node pain, but i'm going to try it a few more times because i know i could use the detoxing benefits. crazy, but i never thought to use it in the way that you described, but it couldn't be easier! i make a melt and pour soap for my husband that has clay and charcoal in it with cedar and patchouli essential oil and he loves it. says it's the best face soap ever. it's funny how i never thought to try it by itself. i'm so glad you mentioned it.

i am interested in the STS, but have a lot on my plate right now. i made a note to try it asap so i would appreciate your input. i have fibrocystic breast disease so my body could probably use getting some calcium out of my soft tissues!

Do you just dry and grind up your egg shells? do you mix it into shakes or how do you ingest it? I used to make them for my dog's food, but once again ... completely brain faded on using it for myself. lol

thanks for your great suggestions btw!

Float

I never recovered from an operation to screw in a titanium alloy plate to broken bone.
Can't say it was the plate and screws but who knows ? Could have been general physical trauma on top of emotional trauma of life events. A perfect storm.

Foreign objects are something no one wants to talk about … it’s always the elephant in the room so to speak. The immune system is always going to try to reject a foreign object. I suppose no one wants ripples in the system, but those of us with staples, plates, implants, etc., have to deal with our immune systems attempting to rid itself of the object on a daily basis. It’s one part of the equation that doesn’t get addressed by anyone. Organ transplant patients must take anti-rejection medication so why are we any different? We are told our foreign objects are of no consequence and won’t cause any problems … I think they’re 100% wrong.

Many of us can’t get a doctor to listen to our basic overall complaints … how on earth could we get anyone to listen to something as crazy as our concerns over an implanted, foreign, object!? We might as well be trying to change their religion!

Rufous McKinney

t scared the bejesus out of me

thanks Wayne this is timely! If I detox, it must be in minute amounts and all this is helpful for further plotting that.

Husband and I had recently been discussing Pascolite, a clay we obtained some years ago. And that I should take small amounts of that: got put onto the list so this discussion helps me think I"ll pursue that. At the same time I will tell myself i do not have a toxic liver or kidney. :balanced: