Professor & patients' paper on the solvable biological challenge of ME/CFS: reader-friendly version
Simon McGrath provides a patient-friendly version of a peer-reviewed paper which highlights some of the most promising biomedical research on ME/CFS ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is it possible heavy metals from titanium and nickel braces could contribute to CFS/ME?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by Lucy1996, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Lucy1996

Lucy1996

I was ill with shingles about a month before getting metal braces. 48 hours after having them fitted I went into a fog, glands up, pins and needles anxiety insomnia (usual stuff) and stayed that way until 22 months later. At the 21 month point I'd had my braces removed due to suspecting it may have contributed towards my immune system falling to pieces. I did get a diagnosis of glandular fever though from blood results.

Im at about 90% physically thankfully. Has anyone else experienced braces and CFS?!

merylg likes this.
  2. Mary

Mary Senior Member

Southern California
    First, I'm glad to hear you are at about 90% physically! :thumbsup:

After a very long, slow onset (13 years I think), I came down with full-blown ME/CFS in 1998 - that's when I started crashing (PEM). In 2006 I was fitted with braces (titanium) and they did not affect my functioning at all. I felt no different afterwards. However, I think it's quite possible that heavy metals can affect immune functioning. So there may be a connection in your case but of course can't say for sure.

However, there may very well be a connection between shingles (varicella zoster) and ME/CFS: http://phoenixrising.me/archives/5806

And glandular fever of course -

3. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

Since we don't know what ME/CFS is (disease mechanism) there is no way to really tell. I wish i could give you a better answer :bang-head:

barbc56 likes this.
  4. mission impossible

mission impossible

Don't they use heavy metals in vaccinations such as mercury in order to create an immune system reaction?
    This link from Dr Myhill talks about interactions between heavy metals and the immune system.
    see under immune adjuvants:

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Auto...nmental_approach_to_treating#Immune_adjuvants.

Personally I have 2 nickel crowns on my front 2 teeth and a mouth full of mercury amalgams so I have wondered about replacing all these at some point but then the options available to replace them don't sound bullet proof either so i have left it, but I would like to try it at some point and see.

5. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

1. I recently had braces for two years. They had no effect either way.on my health.

My personal opinion is that the focus on heavy metals is misguided and unless you are exposed to a very large amount of metals you'd probably be very sick anf be in the hospital. It depends on the dose.

Alternative doctors make a lot of money from convincing patients that they suffer from this. This may delay treatment that are more helpful and science based.
    https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-one-thing-you-need-to-know-before-you-detox/

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  6. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Glandular fever leads to ME/CFS in about 9% of cases, see this post.

See more popular forum discussions.