• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

is it ok to dissolve b12 behind lower lip instead of upper lip?

Hi Rlman, I prefer to upper lip and under the tongue.
I have tried the two modalities and honestly I cannot feel a difference. My B12 serum levels went up pretty quickly with sublingual method which means that they get absorbed, and I very much prefer this way as I don't want to keep all that sugar in my mouth for too long. I use Source Naturals methyl-B12 (5mg) and Enzymatic Therapy's (1mg), they both dissolve in around 25-30min, if I keep them...

Rlman

Hi Rlman, I prefer to upper lip and under the tongue.
I have tried the two modalities and honestly I cannot feel a difference. My B12 serum levels went up pretty quickly with sublingual method which means that they get absorbed, and I very much prefer this way as I don't want to keep all that sugar in my mouth for too long. I use Source Naturals methyl-B12 (5mg) and Enzymatic Therapy's (1mg), they both dissolve in around 25-30min, if I keep them...

ok great @foenix . I did not know those brands dissolve so slowly sublinguly.

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Just be aware that B12 tablets have caused cavities in the teeth close to where the tablets dissolve. For a while I tucked a B12 tablet behind my upper lip, then shortly after doing this for a month or so I developed a cavity at the front of my upper front tooth. Then I switched to my lower lip so that gravity would draw the dissolved tablet downward away from my teeth. Then I realized it wasn't worth risking any more cavities to be dissolving tablets next to my gums.

There is a thread somewhere here warning people about the dangers of dissolving B12 tablets next to your gums.

FWIW, I don't believe there's any benefit to taking b12 this way. I've read that the B12 molecule is too large to be absorbed sublingually anyway. All that's happening is that it's trickling down to your stomach where it's absorbed.

Whatever method you prefer for taking B12 is your choice, but you should be aware of the risks.

Johnmac

I use the Country Life, but it dissolves quite fast compared to the Enzys (sometimes just a few minutes). Keeping stationary, & not eating or drinking, prolong the dissolution period.

I'm getting small cavities too. Thanks for the idea - might switch to under-the-tongue.

Aerose91

FWIW, I don't believe there's any benefit to taking b12 this way. I've read that the B12 molecule is too large to be absorbed sublingually anyway. All that's happening is that it's trickling down to your stomach where it's absorbed slowly

If this is the case then why do so many people have success with transdermal b12? If anything, a mucousal membrane should be better than skin

Last edited: