Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is it necessary to raise B12 when taking glutathione?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by lizw118, Apr 2, 2012.

1. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

This question has probably already been asked, but I seem to be having mixed results with glutathione. I am wondering if I need more B12 now that I am taking it. Is this possible?
    Liz

2. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I guess it would help if you could explain what you mean by "mixed results".

3. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

By mixed results I mean that in some ways I feel better and in some ways worse. I seem to have more strength and stamina since starting the glutathione. I can exercise for a longer time, things like that. I also feel like I can lower my hydrocortisone dose slightly (I take it for adrenal fatigue). However, I am more depressed and I get dizzy more often from POTS. I also have more swelling in my face and sinuses on the glutathione. I am not sure if these are detox symptoms or something else. I am currently taking a few days off of the glutathione to see how I feel.
    Liz

4. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

I should also add that on a Metametrix ion profile test my results were on the high side for cadmium and arsenic. I wonder if my body is detoxing one or both of those on the glutathione. How can I tell?
    Liz

5. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Increased levels of glutathione will probably upregulate/wake up portions of your immune system (natural killer cells are known to depend on healthy levels of glutathione, for example.)

Glutathione will also mobilize toxins such as heavy metals. For this reason, I like to take acetyl-glutathione together with R-lipoic acid.

6. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

Hi nanonug
    I was taking ALA with the glutathione for a few days but it made the symptoms worse. Is this something I should "push through?"
    Liz

7. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    If the problem if heavy metal toxicity, I wouldn't "push through".

In my case, I had to go through one year of IV chelation therapy (w/ DMSA if I'm not mistaken) to significantly reduce heavy metal load. However, I was also taking IV glutathione and oral alpha-lipoic acid.

By the way, these days I don't see why one would take alpha-lipoic acid instead of R-lipoic acid.

8. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

I didn't know about R-lipoic acid. I will look into that.
    Wouldn't taking the glutathione and lipoic acid remove the metals? Why do you need to do I.V. chelation? I don't know much about chelation, so forgive me for the rudimentary question.
    Why not "push through" the metal detox?
    Thanks
    Liz

9. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    I don't know. Depending on your heavy metal load, you could end up redistributing those metals to the brain.

Do you have amalgam fillings in your teeth?

Because otherwise the body wouldn't be able to get rid of heavy metals, at least in a "short" period of time. By "short" I mean a year or so.

If you overload your body's capability to detox, even with glutathione and lipoic acid, you may end up causing greater harm to yourself.

Lotus97 likes this.
  10. lizw118

lizw118 Senior Member

Hi nanonug
    Thanks for the replies. I had my amalgam fillings removed a few years ago. Right now I am thinking that maybe pulsing my doses of glutathione and lipoic acid might be a good idea. What do you think?
    Liz

11. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Honestly, I don't know.

I still feel that IV glutathione plus IV chelation is the way to go. You basically want to bring your heavy metal load to "normal" levels as measured by a test such as Doctor's Data Toxic Metals, Urine. This test measures toxic metals in urine after provocation with DMSA, for example (that's how I did it.)

12. Lotus97

Lotus97 Senior Member

United States

See more popular forum discussions.