• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is having a sauna / hot bath too frequently a bad idea (loss of minerals etc.) ?

Bansaw

I have a portable sauna and lately I've been having insomnia so have been taking a sauna before bed.
This has helped me feel more drowsey at the right moment.

However, I am concerned that if I have a sauna every night, then eventually I might sweat out good minerals that I actually need and it might end up harming me more than benefiting.

Any comments?

keenly

I have a portable sauna and lately I've been having insomnia so have been taking a sauna before bed.
This has helped me feel more drowsey at the right moment.

However, I am concerned that if I have a sauna every night, then eventually I might sweat out good minerals that I actually need and it might end up harming me more than benefiting.

Any comments?
Cold showers or ice baths would be more beneficial

pamojja

See how you do by increasing your mineral-intake with supplements. With hot-baths you're able to get the minerals transdermal by adding them to the water.

caledonia

Yes, it's a good idea to drink extra water and replenish electrolytes (magnesium, potassium, sodium, etc.)

Sauna also detoxes various toxins, and you can overwhelm your liver if it's not working that well (probably, if you're on this forum). Might want to cut back to a couple times a week and not do it every day.

Maybe alternate with warm baths. You can add Epsom salt to the bath to get magnesium and make it even more relaxing.

Murph

:)
A lot of us find that hot water is bad for us - plenty of people here have problems with anything that makes the blood vessels expand!

I'd personally be wary of anything that made me feel drowsy - it might be making me tired, i.e. worse. But if you feel good doing it, then do it!