1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is growing your own probiotic yoghurt possible?

Discussion in 'The Gut: De Meirleir & Maes; H2S; Leaky Gut' started by RustyJ, Apr 30, 2011.

1. maryb

maryb iherb code TAK122

UK
    Thanks xrunner.

2. shannah

shannah Senior Member

I'm new to all of this, am a little confused by it and wondering if people here would be kind enough to jump in and offer some direction. I have already read the entire thread and followed the links posted but still feel unsure and of course, fighting through the fog.

I've never made yogurt before but would like to try making it using the Mutaflor. Looking at the instructions on Dr. Myhill's page, it calls for 5 ml of the Mutaflor suspension in 1/2 litre unsweetened soya milk. What would the equivalency be using the capsules instead of the suspension?

http://www.drmyhill.co.uk/wiki/Growing_Mutaflor

If I were to double the recipe, would it seem reasonable to double everything? (milk, sugar, Mutaflor)

This recipe calls for 2 dessert spoons of sugar. Is the sugar an absolute necessity? And if so, would xylitol work as a replacement. I believe xylitol is corn sugar if I remember correctly.

It says to reserve a couple of tablespoons of the finished yogurt to make the next batch. How long can you actually keep doing this before you need to start anew with fresh Mutaflor?

Does anyone have tips on what to look for in yogurt making machines? I don't have one as yet. Eventually, I would also like to try making the yogurt with Align and with Culturelle.

Thanks so much for any help you can offer.

3. beaverfury

beaverfury beaverfury

West Australia
    I've been making jars of kefir in an esky partially filled with water, warmed with a tropical fish heater.
    They have a built in thermostat and temperature dial to keep water at constant temp. Works good.

4. knackers323

knackers323 Senior Member

Hi guys

You can culture the s. boulardii in cow milk?

Is it possible to culture the prescript assist probiotic?

5. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

I've seen it suggested that boulardii should be added to a fermentation after the milk has coagulated. So,maybe use some live yogurt containing lactobaccilus and bifidus as a starter then 6 - 8 hours into the fermentation add the boulardii? I haven't tried this yet but may do next week. Apparently the addition of boulardii increases the lifespan and the viability of the other strains.

Problem with culturing a multi strain like PA is that one may dominate. Milk may not be the preferred culture medium for some of the SBOs either.

6. knackers323

If you do this with the boulardii please let us know.

Have you found that all store brought probiotics can be cultured?

7. anne_likes_red

anne_likes_red Senior Member

I haven't done any multiple strain cultures from a store bought probiotic apart from biokult. That made something similar to standard yogurt. Others (single strains) I've researched a bit first to see what growth media they prefer. I've tried a number of single strains (mutaflor, LGG, l casei shirota, l plantarum, b infantis, b subtilis) and all have worked OK.

8. knackers323

Anne

Apart from different milks and soy what other mediums can be used?

9. deltaforce

deltaforce

Apologies for resurrecting an old thread.

Great thread. Thanks to all those contributed, learned a lot.

This post is for Ann (anne_likes_red) to confirm the process of Multaflor yogurt. I have yogourmet and love it. Depending on the culture used for inoculation, I get a wide variety of yogurt. With Greek yogurt thick and otherwise little thin.

For Mutaflor, if I understood correctly, you just put one frozen capsule in the UHT milk and let it go for 22-24 hours, right?
    If thats correct,
    - Why did you freeze the capsule before putting it in the culture?
    - Why did you prefer UHT milk? I don't buy UHT milk, mainly because all of them are homogenized and I prefer non-homogenized milk. Do you have any idea if non-UHT non-homogenized (or even raw milk) will work?
    - For re culturing, hold old frozen culture has worked in your experiments?

I plan to make a quick trip across the border to get Mutaflor (I have Ulcerative colitis and its in flare at the moment. Prednisone isn't cutting it). With the limited stock that I will be able to get, I have to maximize its use.

Thanks in advance for all ideas.

See more popular forum discussions.