1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The Mighty Egg: New Life Springs Forth Despite ME/CFS
Jody Smith finds that even with ME/CFS, new life as symbolized by the mighty egg, can still spring forth ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is folic acid harmful to us?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by anniekim, Oct 7, 2013.

1. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    I know many people with ME are not supposed to be able to convert folic acid into the active form of folate but I was wondering does is taking folic acid harmful for us? I want to try the lifepak nano supps but they include folic acid. Could this be a problem? Many thanks
  2. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Folic acid might accumulate and interfere with folate.
  3. Gloria H

Gloria H

South Dakota
    Freddd and others take their Metaformin before taking the folic acid source .... assuming they block each other.

See these links:

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...of-methylation-and-healing.21725/#post-332154

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...iciency-called-ddtox.9160/page-10#post-169935

http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/folic-acid-and-folinic-acid-can-block-metafolin-inducing-deficiency-called-ddtox.9160/page-7#post-169864

Blessings to you!
    SickOfSickness likes this.
  4. SickOfSickness

SickOfSickness Senior Member

US
    Too many foods have folic acid in them, so you may be "supplementing" it without knowing. White rice has it added, and almost anything with flour in it :(
  5. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    My personal anectdote is that I was diagnosed with high homocysteine levels and put on standard folic acid, b12 and b6. (I had previously taken folic acid during pregnancy with no negative effects). BUT the combination of the three? I truly believe that it's what triggered my chronic health issues (still undiagnosed - but with PEM, etc... sure seems like it might be related to ME/CFS). I became toxic on B6 (after three years of being told my dosage was too low to be capable of becoming toxic) and both Folic Acid and B12 were off-the-charts high in test results (which my doctors told me was harmless because the body would eliminate excess easily). I had all the signs of B12 deficiency (but was told that with my sky-high results, it was i mpossible for me to truly be B12 deficient, ergo it was time for psychiatric care).

All before I learned about the methylation process. I believe that if my body has converting them into usable forms? That it probably has trouble eliminating it as well... and I do knwo that detoxing is a big part of my recovery. My doctor's response after I shared with him that it was the forms of the vitamins that was a likely culprit; he just smiled and nodded and said, it might also be placebo related and that's ok - as long as it works. (I don't trust him with treating my methylation issues - I see someone else for that.) All I know is that I've recovered to almost 80-90% of my full-capable self with intense methylation treatment... and am hoping the adrenal support I am on now will help with some of the remainder.

I truly believe that it was the 'unmethylated' forms of the vitamins that triggered my descent.
    Gloria H likes this.
  6. PennyIA

PennyIA Senior Member

Iowa
    In the US, it is federally mandated that all flour (hence all breads/pizza crusts/pastas) have Folic Acid added to it. I almost wonder if it is the folic acid and the highly common MTHFR genetic defects causing folks to become gluten intolerant - if they switch to gluten-free alternatives there's no folic acid additive.
    ahmo and Valentijn like this.
  7. Crux

Crux Senior Member

USA
    Personally, I believe it can be harmful, especially to people with health conditions, including those who have MTHFR mutations, and B12 deficiency. I've been avoiding folic acid supplements, and fortified foods. I feel much better, but it's hard to do because it's added to so many things, and it isn't always included as an ingredient on the package.:ninja:

http://scholarworks.gsu.edu/nutrition_theses/43/

http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/1/189.full

http://www2.mdanderson.org/cancerwi...els-linked-to-silenced-tumor-suppressors.html
  8. Little Bluestem

Little Bluestem Senescent on the Illinois prairie, USA

Midwest, USA
    I have been able to find a few whole wheat items that do not have folic acid added. If you have access to a large city, ethnic markets can be a source of folic acid free foods, as can the international aisle in a large supermarket.
    Valentijn likes this.
  9. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Valentijn and Crux like this.
  10. anniekim

anniekim Senior Member

U.K
    Many thanks for the helpful replies
  11. stridor

stridor Senior Member

The warning about taking folic acid without also taking B12 has been around for 30 or 40 years (yes, I'm that old). Folic acid has the ability to mask a concurent B12 deficiency.
    I think that the real problem is that folic acid can block receptor sites at the BBB and that is why we try to limit them.
    Personally, I tested high for homocysteine even though I was on 1400 mcg of folate and 1000 mcg of cyanocobalamin daily x 4 years. I was in thyroid and adrenal failure and just beginning the long decent into ME/CFS. If the Dr knew something about methylation and/or the symptoms of ME he would have saved me from a couple of years of hell.
    But to answer your question....it depends on the dose you plan on taking, your (genetic) ability to convert folic acid to mfolate (aka something useful), and too many other variables to accurately predict your response. But many of us choose not to go there.
    rosie26 and anniekim like this.

See more popular forum discussions.