The 12th Invest in ME Research Conference June, 2017, Part 2
MEMum presents the second article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is famvir a microglial inhibitor?

Discussion in 'Antivirals, Antibiotics and Immune Modulators' started by Clerner, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    I always see valtrex and it's derivatives on list but never famvir?

2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

You are thinking of Valcyte, which is a different drug to Valtrex.

Clerner likes this.
  3. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    So valcyte is a microglial inhibitor, not valtrex? I know I read an article by court Johnson that was showing valtrex was an inhibtor. So what about famvir?

4. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    Just read article again and it was valcyte. So I guess valtrex and famvir are not microglial inhibitors. Too bad. Thanks for the response!

5. heapsreal

heapsreal iherb 10% discount code OPA989,

australia (brisbane)
    Can depend on what viruses you have as a common cause of microglia activation is viral infections .

Clerner likes this.
  6. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    Yes, I have 3 viruses: ebv, parvovirus and hhv6, but I haven't seen anywhere on lists that it inhibits microglial cells. I feel like I always have throbbing/inflammation pain all thru body and muscle spasms/twitching even in intestines. If Famvir is not inhibitor, thinking of
    asking dr. for LDN.

7. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    @heapsreal I have researched ldn and it can help for pain, depression (I have severe), immunity, calming microglial cells and even IBS. I think it might be worth a try.

8. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)

What im getting at is that if famvir can lower the amount of viruses that could be increasing microglia , so indirectly lower microglia by stopping viruses that produce it??

Clerner likes this.
  9. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    Ok, so not directly. Unfortunately, the famvir may not touch the parvovirus. Thanks for the info.!

10. heapsreal

australia (brisbane)
    It may help microglia from ebv or cmv activation?? To treat parvo ivig is what cfs guru drs would use. Otherwise I would look into interferon inducers such as inosine /immunovir or i think dr chia has used equilibrant although its mostly used for enteroviruses .

Just my opinion but i would try and treat the viruses first before worrying about microglia which may be caused from the viruses anyway .

If no luck with that then look at directly treating the microglia and other causes of inflammation like tnf alpha and other cytokines and having good adrenal hormone balance- dhea/cortisol ratio. Good quality sleep is also important for reducing inflammation .

Dont stop research microglia as u may stumble across something helpful. I guess its like not putting all your eggs in one basket??

Clerner likes this.
  11. Clerner

Clerner Senior Member

Sarasota Florida
    Thanks for the suggestions!

heapsreal likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.