Invest in ME Conference 12: First Class in Every Way
OverTheHills wraps up our series of articles on this year's 12th Invest in ME International Conference (IIMEC12) in London with some reflections on her experience as a patient attending the conference for the first time.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is EWOT a "hack" to exercise without PEM?

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Jesse2233, Oct 31, 2017.

1. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Has anyone here used EWOT (exercise with oxygen therapy) to get the benefits of exercising without PEM or a worsening of their condition?

I've been having success with mHBOT and I wonder if EWOT would be a good adjunct given recent findings on impaired OXPHOS. I haven't seen many patient reports on PR, HR, MyPatientMatch, ProHealth, or Reddit, and of course there are no formal studies.

Dr Jamie Deckoff-Jones has however covered its potential ME benefits in a blog post from 2012

She discusses EWOT literature on athletes, COPD, and CHF
    Later, and even more interestingly, she references two papers on mitochodnrial myopathies
    Caveat: what would be best is likely sensible gentle exercise at gradually increasing intensity and duration for mild to moderate patients who are stable on other treatments

Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    pibee and Learner1 like this.
  2. junkcrap50

junkcrap50 Senior Member

I've wondered the same thing. Especially since people with CFS have their CPET (Cardio Pulmonary Exercise Testing) show that they quickly and prematurely enter an anerobic state (as opposed to lasting in aerobic state), far earlier than healthy people. As a result, their VO2 Max and other results of the CPET are abnormal, compared to controls.

Jesse2233 likes this.
  3. Alvin2

Alvin2 If humans were rational...

I will be a bit surprised if this works because oxygen is not the limiting factor (our blood oxygenation is the same as everyone else), it seems to be energy (glucose) utilization ability.

veganmua likes this.
  4. Wishful

Wishful Senior Member

If it's the t-cells cleaning up damaged muscles that causes exercise induced PEM, then extra oxygen shouldn't help, and might possibly even make it worse (imagining supercharged t-cells).

Sounds like a health scam to me.

pibee likes this.
  5. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    @junkcrap50 good point!

@Wishful I don't think it's a scam as it seems to be effective for some indications. The question is whether it would help us.

I understand your point on T-cells and don't know the answer, but a worsening due to increased oxygen has not been my personal experience with mHBOT

6. Jesse2233

Jesse2233 Senior Member

Southern California
    Did some light yoga and a few push ups tonight while wearing an oxygen mask hooked up to my condenser running at 7L/m

Felt less out of breath and my heart rate returned to normal quicker

I will slowly increase intensity and oxygen flow rate

See more popular forum discussions.