Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is chronic fatigue syndrome heterogeneous? A review of the literature and new study of the lumping v

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by JaimeS, Jun 4, 2016.

1. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Mid-Ohio Valley, United States
    Full title:
    Is chronic fatigue syndrome heterogeneous? A review of the literature and new study of the lumping versus splitting debate for functional somatic syndromes

By all our usual friends:
    M. Sharpe, T.E. Williams, L. Pangiotopoulou, T. Chalder, P.D. White

From "The Journal for Psychosomatic Research", natch.

Behind a paywall, but it's only 58 kb. You can presume the entire text says, "no. They cannot be split. It's homogenous. We are right. We are always right. All hail the glow cloud."

If anyone has any text, I'll post it to the start of the thread, but I think what's up above could probably stand in for it until then... looks basically like a letter.

-J

Woolie, barbc56, Comet and 4 others like this.
  2. Scarecrow

Scarecrow Revolting Peasant

Scotland
    I'm no expert but I think that's more of a Wesselyan view.

Both Sharpe and White have previously said otherwise. Here's an article from the Beeb, which starts with the usual obligatory reference to death threats and then gets to the point.

3. Cheshire

Cheshire Senior Member

Abstract:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Simon, Justin30, Comet and 8 others like this.
  4. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

Actually quite thought-provoking. Other studies have shown mood disorders to be more prevalent in UK groups, probably because of misdiagnosis between ME and these disorders, given the misconceptions about the illness. It is intriguing that they say that the largest group scored high on self-efficacy. I'd be interested to see more on this.

At the same time, I've got to wonder if this is a move towards "some patients have a biomedical issue, and for others we were right all along" as the new narrative.

-J

Justin30, Woolie, Hutan and 10 others like this.
  5. Chrisb

Chrisb Senior Member

Truly amazing. In this great leap of the intellect they have discovered what people have been trying to tell them since 1988.

This seems to have been inevitable since the paper some time last summer when even they acknowledged that 30 or 40% (I forget which, I only remember things in the most general of terms) of those undergoing their therapies failed to derive any benefit. Although the press releases spun the result as finding that people with ME/CFS benefitted.

In these days of evidence based medicine, you will just have to imagine the sarcastic emoji, they could not reasonably continue prescribing CBT/GET for all if such a large cohort failed to benefit. This is just their way of keeping the gravy train rolling. I don't suppose they will seek advice from any who might be able to offer guidance.

Justin30, Woolie, Comet and 3 others like this.
  6. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

moderated with many others
    I'm npot sure how seriously we should take their definitions of mood disorder. I seem to remember they were using HADS as a scale which is poor and questions on it don't distinguish between disability and depression. Coyne wrote an article saying the scale should not be used and I think there was a spanish study with FM which said it was only capable of showing psychological distress and not depression or anxiety disorders.

Hutan, Woolie, Comet and 5 others like this.
  7. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Ignore this. Just placing it here for my reference.

Is chronic fatigue syndrome heterogeneous? A review of the literature and new study of the lumping versus splitting debate for functional somatic syndromes.

Williams TE, Pangiotopoulou L, Chalder T, Sharpe M, White PD.
    Journal of Psychosomatic Research 2016;85:88-89
    http://www.jpsychores.com/article/S0022-3999(16)30308-7/abstract

8. A.B.

A.B. Senior Member

Link to Coyne's article
    The Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) is dead, but like Elvis, there will still be citings
    http://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/6780761/Coyne_2012_J_Psychosom_Res_2.pdf!null

No further research needed: Abandoning the Hospital and Anxiety Depression Scale (HADS)
    http://www.rug.nl/research/portal/files/6774405/Coyne_2012_J_Psychosom_Res.pdf!null

Last edited: Jun 4, 2016
    Mij, Webdog, Comet and 4 others like this.
  9. Vasha

Vasha Senior Member

This is also interesting:

"The smallest group were characterised by fear avoidance and inactivity."

I thought that was the general theory for all of us? Maybe they are moving to a more nuanced view.

The entire article doesn't seem to be available yet--the DOI is not yet active.

-Vasha

Hutan, JaimeS, Mrs Sowester and 3 others like this.
  10. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I think this may be a conference abstract only, for the 4th annual scientific conference of the European Association for Psychosomatic Medicine (EAPM) hosted in Luleå, Sweden, 16-18 June 2016. The conference is titled: "Transforming health through evidence and empathy." ( :vomit: ) http://eapm2016.com/

The abstracts are listed in the journal, here:
    http://www.jpsychores.com/issue/S0022-3999(16)X0005-0?page=0

Forum threads about the conference:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...iation-for-psychosomatic-medicine-eapm.45001/
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/index.php?threads/luleå-sweden-hosts-psychosomatic-conference-eapm-2016-june-16-18.44750/

Last edited: Jun 5, 2016
    Simon, barbc56 and JaimeS like this.
  11. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

Looks like the musings of people conjuring a metaphorical lifeboat. I have been a little low of late--and even though I could be completely misunderstanding the meaning this communicates--this cheers me. Do they think the boat is sinking?

If only we could get FITNET to die prematurely before it can do harm.

Justin30, Hutan, Woolie and 6 others like this.
  12. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, this does seem to be a slight improvement on their usual stuff. It almost seems sensible and reasonable! Let's hope it's a move in a new direction. Their previous model couldn't last forever, with patients becoming ever more empowered to assert themselves. Perhaps the authors feel that it's time to evolve, or become irrelevant dinosaurs. (I can hope!)

Vasha, Justin30, Woolie and 3 others like this.
  13. worldbackwards

worldbackwards A unique snowflake

Earth
    I do hope they choose to become irrelevant dinosaurs. I've been waiting for that for ages.

Justin30, Hutan, Valentijn and 5 others like this.
  14. Invisible Woman

Invisible Woman Senior Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Woolie, AndyPandy, Comet and 3 others like this.
  15. Snowdrop

Snowdrop Rebel without a biscuit

16. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

OMG THE PUN. Coyne, you silver-tongued devil, you.

Simon, Justin30, AndyPandy and 6 others like this.
  17. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    A typical psych response is that most people fail to benefit with most treatments so they have to switch treatments till they find one that works. Since they do not have an alternative psych treatment that works at all, after CBT/GET fails (a typical result) then they abandon the patients.

Webdog likes this.
  18. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    They cannot choose. They already are. Its just that they don't believe the evidence that their species is on the way out.

Justin30, Valentijn, A.B. and 4 others like this.
  19. JaimeS

JaimeS Senior Member

It wasn't UK folks saying so, though. The study I saw compared populations in the UK, US, and (I believe) Norway, and showed that, using the same, objective measures (however crappy they were)...

...I should hope they used the same objective measures. I may have to look back. But I'm pretty sure it wasn't the UK docs who diagnosed them, but the study team who diagnosed everybody.

-J

See more popular forum discussions.