• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is CFS/ME and FMS caused by a weak something?

Folk

First of all, I know we've had some death related to CFS/ME lately, but in the vast majority it's not fatal.

Second, we don't see illnesses like HIV going into remission just by following protocol X or Y developed in a forum. (even with everything they already know)

Third, normally in CFS/ME people's health slowly deterioarte because they're not receiving treatment (well.. it's a illness after all)

I think it's safe to say even with the worst investment ever in a disease, there are amazing doctors developing treatments and coming to conclusions, as well as studies showing new promissing info everytime.

So am I too optmist to think the cause of CFS/ME and FMS is a weak something (virus, bacteria or wathever)?

It looks like if 1/3 of the investment that goes to HIV went to CFS/ME/FMS the puzzle would be solved in a blink.

taniaaust1

Nothing wrong with being an optimist as long as a person isnt unrealistic to the point its getting them into trouble eg those who think they can simply cure ME/CFS by exericise...

It looks like if 1/3 of the investment that goes to HIV went to CFS/ME/FMS the puzzle would be solved in a blink.

Im not so sure about that one, as I do think ME/CFS is a far more complex disease then AIDS is.. it seems to affect more body systems etc then AIDS does. It's quite possible that even if money like that had been thrown this illnesses way, they may still be trying to figure out basic stuff about it... as after all with an illness which affects soo much, where does one even start really looking? One could research with ME/CFS a long way in one direction only to end up finding out that it lead it a big dead end and another direction should of been taken.

Sorry, yeah a pessimistic viewpoint there.. I do hope they will start doing research where it needs to be done soon if they arent already.

Third, normally in CFS/ME people's health slowly deterioarte because they're not receiving treatment (well.. it's a illness after all)

There is no real "treatment" for ME/CFS as not enough is known, so hence some peoples health deteriorates even when they are doing everything they could do medically.

The best some can do is just treat the "symptoms" but many of those symptoms prove very hard to treat eg I have severe dysautonomia with it... drs dont know what to do with me, what we've tried isnt enough so I now need to be pushed in a wheelchair when I go out. + my bowel prolapsed due to ME/CFS thou I was trying to treat my IBS-C + my kidneys are showing signs they are suffering and at risk of damage due to my hard to treat dysautonomia ME symptom.

I wish it was as simple as trying to treat symptoms and hence one doesnt get worst. Some do try everything they can without luck. Some have complex issues going on with this illness that are very hard to treat or impossible to treat at this point.

Folk

Damn that strugle Tania, I totally understand you....

Can a surgery help you with your prolapseed bowel?

unto

hello Popular and Tania,
sorry I translate from Italian.
I am convinced that the cause of ME is a germ,
probably a virus, if you invest in research
we might soon have an effective therapy.
Dal1985 are ill with ME, in thirty years I have seen many people,
close to me (family, partners, friends, ..), manifest the same symptoms,
for this I am sure that ME is a communicable disease .......
unfortunately does not scare us a lot and makes us be content to survive,
I think that would be enough to get a good search the testimony
of patients who are conscious of having a contagious disease (I believe + 50%);
but this is a serious psychological problem ...........