• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Cadmium a cause of ME/CFS?Article in Medical Hypothesis Journal

Gamboa

Below is the abstract from an on-line journal called Medical Hypotheses. The researchers are from the University of Florence in Italy.

Article in Press
Could cadmium be responsible for some of the neurological signs and symptoms of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
Received 24 May 2012; accepted 17 June 2012. published online 16 July 2012.
Corrected Proof

Abstract

According to the World Health Organization, Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME/CFS) is a neurological disease characterized by widespread inflammation and multi-systemic neuropathology. Aetiology and pathogenesis are unknown, and several agents have been proposed as causative agents or as factors perpetuating the syndrome. Exposure to heavy metals, with particular reference to mercury and gold in dental amalgams, has been considered among the triggers of ME/CFS. Here we hypothesize that cadmium, a widespread occupational and environmental heavy metal pollutant, might be associated with some of the neurological findings described in ME/CFS. In fact, ME/CFS patients show a decrease of the volume of the gray matter in turn associated with objective reduction of physical activity. Cadmium induces neuronal death in cortical neurons through a combined mechanism of apoptosis and necrosis and it could then be hypothesized that cadmium-induced neuronal cell death is responsible for some of the effects of cadmium on the central nervous system, i.e. a decrease in attention level and memory in exposed humans as well as to a diminished ability for training and learning in rats, that are symptoms typical of ME/CFS. This hypothesis can be tested by measuring cadmium exposure in a cohort of ME/CFS patients compared with matched healthy controls, and by measuring gray matter volume in un-exposed healthy controls, exposed non-ME/CFS subjects, un-exposed ME/CFS patients and exposed ME/CFS patients. In addition, we hypothesize that cadmium exposure could be associated with reduced cerebral blood flow in ME/CFS patients because of the disruptive effects of cadmium on angiogenesis. In fact, cadmium inhibits angiogenesis and low global cerebral flow is associated with abnormal brain neuroimaging results and brain dysfunction in the form of reduced cognitive testing scores in ME/CFS patients. This hypothesis can be tested by measuring cerebral cortex blood flow in un-exposed healthy controls, exposed non-ME/CFS subjects, un-exposed ME/CFS patients and exposed ME/CFS patients. If our hypothesis is demonstrated correct, the consequences could affect prevention, early diagnosis, and treatment of ME/CFS. Implications in early diagnosis could entail the evaluation of symptoms typical of ME/CFS in cadmium-exposed subjects as well as the search for signs of exposure to cadmium in subjects diagnosed with ME/CFS. Nutritional supplementation of magnesium and zinc could then be considered, since these elements have been proposed in the prophylaxis and therapy of cadmium exposure, and magnesium was demonstrated effective on ME/CFS patients’ symptom profiles.

Crux

Thanks for this link, Gamboa;

I do believe that cadmium accumulation can be a factor in CFS/ME. I've read that it can fill zinc receptors and disrupt metabolism.

I've had alot of exposure to cadmium, being an ex-smoker, and one who has used many cadmium pigments with bare hands.

I believe I've also been zinc deficient most of my life.

I'm going to increase magnesium again. I was having trouble with it for a while, but that may have been due to the zinc def.

liverock

Cadmium ticks quite a few boxes where CFS is concerned.

Neurotransmitters such as acetyl choline,catacholamines and GABA are all affected by cadmium.
Cadmium also inhibits the methylation of phospholipids which interferes with cell membranes

On energy production, glutathione reductase and Krebs cycle enzymes pyruvate and a-ketoglutarate dehydrogenese
are all affected.

http://www.arltma.com/Articles/CadmiumToxDoc.htm

Shell

That's interesting. I've wondered what the environmental factors are for a while. The fact that ME/cfs has cluster outbreaks would indicate something environmental and the fact of the bizarrely high number of us being either teachers or nurses has to be a factor.
In the early 80's just as the new cluster outbreaks began most of us nurses and teachers were living in a fog of other people's smoke, even when we weren't smokers. I always remember how bad my morning sickness was with my oldest because I was working on a smoke fogged ward. Most of us worked long hours as well, especially back then when a nurses wage barely covered the bills.

The only other exposure to cadmium I can think of for me was in paint. Hmmm. Should have got to grips with watercolour after all perhaps.

I'm trying to up my magnesium intake and zinc. (with coQ10). Worth a try.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
A bit more info:

Could cadmium be responsible for some of the neurological signs and symptoms
of Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

Stefania Pacini, Maria G. Fiore, Stefano Magherini, Gabriele Morucci, Jacopo J.V. Branc, Massimo Gulisanoa, Marco Ruggiero

Department of Anatomy, Histology and Forensic Medicine, University of Firenze, Viale Morgagni 85, 50134 Firenze, Italy

Department of Experimental Pathology and Oncology, University of Firenze, Viale Morgagni 50, 50134 Firenze, Italy

WillowJ

คภภเє ɠรค๓թєl
Who is exposed to cadmium?
OSHA estimates that 300,000 workers are exposed to cadmium in the United States. Worker exposure to cadmium can occur in all industry sectors but mostly in manufacturing and construction.

Workers may be exposed during smelting and refining of metals, and manufacturing batteries, plastics, coatings, and solar panels. The expanding Ni-Cd battery recycling industry is a concern for cadmium exposure.

Electroplating, metal machining, welding and painting are operations associated with cadmium exposure.

Workers involved in landfill operations, the recycling of electronic parts, or the recycling of plastics may be exposed to cadmium. Compost workers and waste collectors are also potentially exposed to dust which may contain cadmium.

The incineration of municipal waste is another source of cadmium exposure.
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/cadmium/

liverock

Its not just among industrial workers where cadmium is absorbed. Cadmium is also used in phosphate fertilisers and animal feed and is absorbed in vegetables as well as animal flesh. Cadmium is lodged in animals liver and kidneys and some is excreted in urine and feces and this is also used as a fertiliser in manure, further increasing cadmium levels in vegetables.

Nobody really knows the full extent of cadmium levels in humans but it is said to have a half life of 30 years which means a steady build up and increase over a lifetime.
Cadmium is more dangerous than mercury as it tends to replace zinc in over 300 enzymes, causing malfunctions in energy cycles such as the Krebs cycle causing increased fatigue.

It also lowers acetylcholine levels as well as interfering with other neurotransmitters. As it replaces zinc it also damages arteries causing arteriosclerosis and weakening the heart muscle.

http://www.arltma.com/Articles/CadmiumToxDoc.htm

Antares in NYC

Is there an effective way to test for cadmium levels?
More importantly, how do you chelate cadmium from your system?

IreneF

I just don't see how I could have been exposed to cadmium. Plus there would have to be an occupational relationship; how many of us worked in manufacturing and construction, for example?

A.B.

I just don't see how I could have been exposed to cadmium. Plus there would have to be an occupational relationship; how many of us worked in manufacturing and construction, for example?

Everyone is exposed to cadmium through diet and air. The body simply excretes it. If there is a problem with excretion not functioning correctly for whatever reason, then a person would accumulate toxic levels of cadmium over the years.

liverock