• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is B2 the solution to Methyl B12/folate side effects??

Hello all

I've been in contact with someone from the b12oils.com website.

I have been discussing the difficulties that I have had with taking the methylb12 and methylfolate. They seem to think that the side effects come from an under functioning MAOA enzyme due to a lack of vitamin B2.

They have told me that in order to tolerate b12/folate, one would want to take B2 for up to a month before trying to take b12/folate in order to get the MAOA enzyme working in order to clear neurotransmitters. They mention COMT but really put emphasis on MAOA.

So there's another theory to add to the pile.

Any thoughts, advice or experiences??

helen1

Interesting theory. Did he give you any more details on what effect B2 has on MAOA? I wonder what he meant by clearing neurotransmitters. I haven't heard that expression before.

My experience is that methylation seems to have halted. It was going great for about 7 months with great improvement in health om freddd's plan then after several crashes I haven't been able to get it working again. I must have depleted something but can't figure it out. It's been a year that I've been trying extra this that and the other but can't get the effect back again.

I'm taking a bit of extra B2. Did he have any idea of how much might be needed?

@helen1

From my understanding of our conversations, the active form of vitamin b2 (FAD) is a cofactor in the production or function, I suppose, of the MAOA enzyme. Therefore, if you are deficient in FAD, your MAOA enzyme will be slowed down and you will not clear neurotransmitters ( primarily serotonin) at an even rate. Much like COMT clears dopamine and norepinephrine.

I find it strange though that SAM-e is a cofactor in the function of COMT, but you need MB12 and Mfolate as a cofactor to produce SAM-e. so people who have serious methylation problems (deficiencies in B12 and folate) would then not have a functioning COMT enzyme due to low SAM-e levels?

I have also read quite a bit about people on here getting worse when taking vitamin b2.

I am quite sure serotonin is an issue for me. My depression and anxiety seem to come up to a bearable level if I eat a meal consisting of good protein and complex carbohydrates. Which, as far as I understand, Increases serotonin.

I am +MAOA but I seem to have low serotonin. And I am not sure on my b2 status.

Critterina

@cobain_justinsane , the NutrEval test will tell you your B2 status if you ever take it. It told me that B2 was the one thing I was in greatest need of. I tend toward depression, no anxiety usually, and tolerate any amount of B12, which cheers me up if I'm down. Go figure - it makes no sense to me!

ahmo

@cobain_justinsane I have written here about my rather miraculous experience of FMN form of B2. I was inspired to start it because of comments linking it to MAO. The positive effects have only increased in the weeks since I wrote the blog post, eliminating my prior need for antihistamine, mast cell, and antioxidant supps.

Here's a current discussion re thyroid that mentions FMN, B2, might have some relevance.
Synthesis of FMN and FAD appears to be influenced by endproduct inhibition and hormones including ACTH, aldosterone, and the thyroid hormones, all of which accelerate the conversion of riboflavin into its coenzyme forms, apparently by increasing the activity of flavokinase.
Advanced Nutrition and Human Metabolism
Sareen Gropper & Jack Smith

Last edited:
I've been doing some research on the MAOA and although B2 deficiency is said to cause a reduction in the enzymes activity, there are many other factors that I found that will inhibit the enzyme. For example, copper deficiency will inhibit the enzyme. Higher levels of estrogen will inhibit the enzyme. Even curcumin will inhibit the enzyme.

So if you think that MAOA is potentially a factor for you. These could possibly be some things to consider.

Changexpert

Based on some studies that @picante posted in the thread that @ahmo linked, it looks like FMN can be converted to FAD, which helps clear neurotransmitters related to MAO A. I have been taking FMN after messaging ahmo and it has been the most effective supplement that clears brain fog for me. I currently have hypothyroidism (low free T4, free T3, high reverse T3), so it seems like my liver is having lots of difficulties converting regular B2 to the active forms (FAD, FMN). Also, I've had very negative reactions to mb12 in the past, but with addition of FMN, I can tolerate up to 500 mcg of mb12 now without breaking out in rashes and hypersensitivity to irritants.