• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is anyone else terrified of catching the flu?

PatJ

Forum Support Assistant
I've been sick for 19 years and haven't had the flu once during that time. I'm kind of surprised others here have, as w/ME/CFS it was my understanding that we don't usually have the 'normal' immune reaction -- high fevers (enough to fight the virus), etc.

I had 'flu-like' symptoms for the first three-ish years but haven't had a genuine flu since 2004 and haven't had a cold since 2007. I think it's common to have flu-like symptoms for the first few years but then some of us flip into a state where we don't get colds or flu after that. It's one of the very few benefits of this illness (greater appreciation for life and personal spiritual development being the others, for me.)

vision blue

Am terrified. Have been super careful but going to a cardiologist tomorrow in a big medical facility. Will try to wear a mask for as much of the time as i can, bring my own pusle ox meter and bp cuff, but i don't think will be sufficient with people putting electrodes on me and dirty stethescopes. Last time I caught something bad from a doctor himself 3 years ago, I had 101+ temps for a week, a cough for 6 weeks, and ended up in the ER with severe vertigo (respitory infections give me vertigo 3 weeks after they are over), then that triggered my autonomic symptoms, and back on the ER a week later with 146 bpm heart rate. Took months- arguably years - to "get over" all the effects, including disease flares. So i'm paranoid and usually super careful. I usually do not go to med appts between Christmas and at least mid march, sometimes not til April, I even avoid going out to eat (well, that's not hard, since it's too "stimulating" anyway) and wear mask in the supermarket. So I hope i'm not making a huge huge mistake. Was hard to get an appt with him, only comes into my center once a month, and I have questions- jeez, now on hearing myself talk i wonder if this is dumb.

I bought a new kind of mask made of nanoparticles that's supposed to be effective even against ebola yet is breathable...but doubt it and if it works, i'll probably be allergic to it anyway or have to take it off to talk to the doc who will then breath on me. I did not get the flu shot since i have many allergies and chemical and other intolerances. I didn't even bother to look at ingredients this time, in the past vaccines have contained glutamates and other things I can't have