Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is anyone else hypersensitive to stimulating herbs/meds/foods?

Discussion in 'Hypersensitivity and Intolerance' started by SolarMuse, Mar 12, 2017.

1. SolarMuse

SolarMuse

Texas
    I am. Are you? Is this a CFS thing? I used to drink a pot of coffee a day 20 yrs ago, now, I can hardly drink 1 cup of coffee (unless I am really wiped out) and Mucinex makes me want to crawl out my skin. I am also sensitive to detoxing herbs and cleaning chemicals.

2. Lolo

Lolo Senior Member

AUS
    Chemical smells make me feel sick - deodorants, perfumes, cleaning products, etc. If I can't get away I will start to get a headache. Love the smell of coffee though.

keenly likes this.
  3. boolybooly

boolybooly

UK
    Yes, its a real problem, I can't take any caffeine also there are a bunch of foods with high amine content and these amines act as stimulants and can cause major headbuzz.

In addition there are other foods which block the enzymes which should get rid of stimulating molecules (Mono Amine Oxidases aka MAOs) so if you eat a stimulant cooked with a MAO inhibitor it can cause double trouble as the stimulant builds up and doesnt go away. Nutmeg commonly used in sausages and christmas pudding has a very powerful action in this regard and is why some people use it like a drug.

eg chicken (especially skin) is high in stimulating amines but onion and olive oil contain MAO inhibitors so if I have a fry up of chicken and onion in olive oil it can spell disaster.

I find I can improve the situation by avoiding such foods as cause a problem and also taking Kirkman B complex is the only treatment I have found for food related runaway headbuzz, I believe some of the Bs may support MAO activity.

Lolo and SolarMuse like this.
  4. DoggerFisher

DoggerFisher

This year I collected a new sensitivity to Annatto! - caffeine, MSG etc. are old ones I've long avoided. When my nervous system symptoms are worse (senses heightened) other things can be a problem...

SolarMuse likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.