1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Time Change Equals Jet Lag, ME/CFS Style
Jody Smith marvels at how much difference one hour can make to those with ME/CFS, as much of the world has endured The Time Change in recent weeks ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is an increase in pain something positive?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by treefrog, Mar 25, 2012.

1. treefrog

treefrog

NJ, USA
    I think I have had an increase in pain since I started the SMP. I've been in pain so long - it's hard to tell if it's the SMP, stress, or some other cause. I kind of got the feeling it may be mobilization of toxins but I don't know for sure.

Is this something to work through & to be endured or does it mean to back off the protocol? I mainly noticed rib pain that I didn't have before. Some call it costocondroitis, I believe. I have a LightWorks which emits infrared light for healing & it does help. I've also had some other symptoms of toxins being released.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has felt this way & if it's a good idea to try to endure it. Will it eventually lead to a breakthrough? I don't think I read anywhere of a "herx" reaction or mobilization of toxins with the SMP.

All the best to everyone!
  2. Ocean

Ocean Senior Member

U.S.
    I don't know what SMP is. I do have that same rib pain though. At least I think it's the same thing, I've been told it's probably costocondroitis but never really looked into it beyond that. It can get pretty uncomfortable for me. I find when I'm feeling better overall the rib pain is better too.
  3. Sparrow

Sparrow Senior Member

Canada
    For me, my pain has gone strictly down as I've gotten better. I tend to feel a bit more "ill" when going too fast with methylation supplements, but haven't had pain as a side effect of that kind of thing. We're all different, though. I guess you could always reduce your dosages a bit and see if it seems to be connected. Hope it clears up soon!
  4. treefrog

treefrog

NJ, USA
    RE: SMP - Simplified Methylation Protocol :mask:

Yeah, I just got the rib pain at about the same time I started the SMP (about 4-5 weeks ago). I looked it up & saw some people call it costocondroitis. I had CFS many years ago & got well - but then I got fibro after about 8 years of being well (which they said was Lyme in about 2006). So, my main thing these days is pain - but not the rib pain... That's new (& not all that fun, either).

I was thinking it might be some kind of heavy metal detox reaction...? Then, I was thinking that I just don't know what it is. I've been feeling more tired than usual & my sleep patterns have gone pretty crazy.

I know I should have a doctor but I can't really afford it. I've been studying all of this stuff for many years. I don't think alot of doctors know about the methylation protocol ins & outs - so, I'm trying to work it out on my own. I was wondering how others felt & if it was common to have a detox reaction from starting up the SMP.

Thanks, Sparrow!
  5. triffid113

triffid113 Day of the Square Peg

Michigan
    I don't think one should grit one's teeth through pain - it can kill you. You could have a potassium shortage. Proper methylation uses up potassium and you need to supply it at a higher rate then before improving your methylation. Electrolyte imbalance can kill you. So tension and pain should be treated with respect and not ignored. www.lef.org (if you are a member) gives a CBC with chem fo $35 which shows potassium and a lot of useful things. If you are low potassium and you wait even 5 days it can kill you. I'm just saying. Don't ignore it.

Trif
  6. treefrog

treefrog

NJ, USA
    Yes, I have been reading about the potassium situation. Thank you. I will look into it. I have been trying to eat some potassium rich foods but I don't know if it's enough. I had a bottle of one of those pHion drink powders but I looked on the bottle & it's out of date. It's kind of hard to find potassium supplements. It's not very common like magnesium or other minerals. I don't know all the ins & outs of it.

I don't think it's considered the same as things like iron or calcium. I've been looking at electrolite supplements but I haven't found one with a large amount of postassium. I think there is some danger of a "regular" person taking too much but I might be mistaken.

I've been in pain for over 15 years - so, it's kind of hard to know when it means something different is happening. After a while, I just have to tune it out...

See more popular forum discussions.