• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is an increase in pain something positive?

I think I have had an increase in pain since I started the SMP. I've been in pain so long - it's hard to tell if it's the SMP, stress, or some other cause. I kind of got the feeling it may be mobilization of toxins but I don't know for sure.

Is this something to work through & to be endured or does it mean to back off the protocol? I mainly noticed rib pain that I didn't have before. Some call it costocondroitis, I believe. I have a LightWorks which emits infrared light for healing & it does help. I've also had some other symptoms of toxins being released.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has felt this way & if it's a good idea to try to endure it. Will it eventually lead to a breakthrough? I don't think I read anywhere of a "herx" reaction or mobilization of toxins with the SMP.

All the best to everyone!

Ocean

I think I have had an increase in pain since I started the SMP. I've been in pain so long - it's hard to tell if it's the SMP, stress, or some other cause. I kind of got the feeling it may be mobilization of toxins but I don't know for sure.

Is this something to work through & to be endured or does it mean to back off the protocol? I mainly noticed rib pain that I didn't have before. Some call it costocondroitis, I believe. I have a LightWorks which emits infrared light for healing & it does help. I've also had some other symptoms of toxins being released.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has felt this way & if it's a good idea to try to endure it. Will it eventually lead to a breakthrough? I don't think I read anywhere of a "herx" reaction or mobilization of toxins with the SMP.

All the best to everyone!

I don't know what SMP is. I do have that same rib pain though. At least I think it's the same thing, I've been told it's probably costocondroitis but never really looked into it beyond that. It can get pretty uncomfortable for me. I find when I'm feeling better overall the rib pain is better too.

Sparrow

For me, my pain has gone strictly down as I've gotten better. I tend to feel a bit more "ill" when going too fast with methylation supplements, but haven't had pain as a side effect of that kind of thing. We're all different, though. I guess you could always reduce your dosages a bit and see if it seems to be connected. Hope it clears up soon!

RE: SMP - Simplified Methylation Protocol :mask:

Yeah, I just got the rib pain at about the same time I started the SMP (about 4-5 weeks ago). I looked it up & saw some people call it costocondroitis. I had CFS many years ago & got well - but then I got fibro after about 8 years of being well (which they said was Lyme in about 2006). So, my main thing these days is pain - but not the rib pain... That's new (& not all that fun, either).

I was thinking it might be some kind of heavy metal detox reaction...? Then, I was thinking that I just don't know what it is. I've been feeling more tired than usual & my sleep patterns have gone pretty crazy.

I know I should have a doctor but I can't really afford it. I've been studying all of this stuff for many years. I don't think alot of doctors know about the methylation protocol ins & outs - so, I'm trying to work it out on my own. I was wondering how others felt & if it was common to have a detox reaction from starting up the SMP.

Thanks, Sparrow!

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I don't think one should grit one's teeth through pain - it can kill you. You could have a potassium shortage. Proper methylation uses up potassium and you need to supply it at a higher rate then before improving your methylation. Electrolyte imbalance can kill you. So tension and pain should be treated with respect and not ignored. www.lef.org (if you are a member) gives a CBC with chem fo $35 which shows potassium and a lot of useful things. If you are low potassium and you wait even 5 days it can kill you. I'm just saying. Don't ignore it.

Trif

Yes, I have been reading about the potassium situation. Thank you. I will look into it. I have been trying to eat some potassium rich foods but I don't know if it's enough. I had a bottle of one of those pHion drink powders but I looked on the bottle & it's out of date. It's kind of hard to find potassium supplements. It's not very common like magnesium or other minerals. I don't know all the ins & outs of it.

I don't think it's considered the same as things like iron or calcium. I've been looking at electrolite supplements but I haven't found one with a large amount of postassium. I think there is some danger of a "regular" person taking too much but I might be mistaken.

I've been in pain for over 15 years - so, it's kind of hard to know when it means something different is happening. After a while, I just have to tune it out...