• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is all niacin in the form of nicotinic acid?

I've seen @caledonia posting about how nicotinic acid is the fix for overmethylation, but I just want to clarify whether or not any niacin supplement is the same thing as nicotinic acid, or if there are different forms of niacin just like there are different forms of folate and B-12.

I read the Wikipedia entry first, but I still have confusion, especially after having read this. The article suggests that niacin supplements in the U.S. are most likely to be nicotinic acid, but nicotinamide can also be sold as niacin. Many of the supplement labels I've been reading online only list the active ingredient as "niacin," not nicotinic acid. The article also mentions that nicotinamide has less of a flush reaction than nicotinic acid. Would it be safe to assume that a brand that offer a niacin supplement and a differently labeled "no flush" niacin supplement is using nicotinic acid for the former and nicotinamide for the latter?

Beyond

Juice Me Up, Scotty!!!
Yes. No flush is always niacinamide i.e. nicotinamide. Niacin is always nicotinic acid. All the supplements I´ve seen either list niacin or niacinamide.