1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is all niacin in the form of nicotinic acid?

Discussion in 'Detox: Methylation; B12; Glutathione; Chelation' started by twilightsun, Dec 12, 2013.

1. twilightsun

twilightsun

Clifton Park, NY
    I've seen @caledonia posting about how nicotinic acid is the fix for overmethylation, but I just want to clarify whether or not any niacin supplement is the same thing as nicotinic acid, or if there are different forms of niacin just like there are different forms of folate and B-12.

2. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
  3. twilightsun

twilightsun

Clifton Park, NY
    I read the Wikipedia entry first, but I still have confusion, especially after having read this. The article suggests that niacin supplements in the U.S. are most likely to be nicotinic acid, but nicotinamide can also be sold as niacin. Many of the supplement labels I've been reading online only list the active ingredient as "niacin," not nicotinic acid. The article also mentions that nicotinamide has less of a flush reaction than nicotinic acid. Would it be safe to assume that a brand that offer a niacin supplement and a differently labeled "no flush" niacin supplement is using nicotinic acid for the former and nicotinamide for the latter?

4. Beyond

Beyond 10% of discount in iHerb!--> PEZ915

Murcia, Spain
    Yes. No flush is always niacinamide i.e. nicotinamide. Niacin is always nicotinic acid. All the supplements I´ve seen either list niacin or niacinamide.

5. twilightsun

twilightsun

Clifton Park, NY
    Thank you. :)

See more popular forum discussions.