Severe ME Day of Understanding and Remembrance: Aug. 8, 2017
Determined to paper the Internet with articles about ME, Jody Smith brings some additional focus to Severe Myalgic Encephalomyelitis Day of Understanding and Remembrance on Aug. 8, 2017 ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is ADHD actually a sleep disorder?

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Webdog, Jun 6, 2017.

1. Webdog

Webdog Up to 91% remain undiagnosed

California
    New Scientist article on the possibility that ADHD is a sleep disorder treatable with a narcolepsy med.

2. Never Give Up

Never Give Up Collecting improvements, until there's a cure.

It is very impressive that their initial results were better than results for traditional ADHD drugs. It all makes perfect sense and it could have usefulness for PWME in whom circadian rhythm disturbance and AD are rife.

merylg likes this.
  3. Lolo

Lolo Senior Member

AUS
  4. Basilico

Basilico Florida

Really interesting article, @Webdog , thanks for posting.

My husband has ADD, and he has always been a night owl, and always had a painfully difficult time waking up in the morning. A few years ago, we found out he had an inverted cortisol pattern (low in morning, high at night), and i assumed that was the reason. It never occurred to me that it could be connected to the ADD.

Next time he goes to his doctor, he's going to bring this article and see if the doc would be willing to prescribe the meds mentioned in the article as a little test. He doesn't tolerate ADD meds, so if this could help him, that would be great.

Silencio likes this.
  5. keenly

keenly

UK
    No, it is a made up illness to make money for Big Pharma.

Any child given sugary, processed food can exhibit to so called symptoms of this pseudo illness.

6. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    If you think that ADHD is a made up illness then you are ignorant of what ADHD is and have never encountered a child or an adult with ADHD.

My daughter had severe ADHD as child and she certainly wasn't making her symptoms up. As an adult she still has it but it's not so severe but it does interfere with her daily functioning.

Yes, it is over-diagnosed but talk to parents of children with it and you will understand it isn't made up.

You also appear to be ignorant of the research that demonstrates that neither sugary foods or additives are connected to ADHD.

7. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    ADHD is difficulty maintaining or switching attention and retaining and/or retrieving information. Hyperactivity is what we ALL get with a sugar buzz (maybe not us specifically but any normal healthy person)

Hyperactivity alone is not an issue. It just means very active but not being able to concentrate and retain information or control impulses can be hugely disabling. I doubt it is over diagnosed but poorly understood by the general population.

Silencio likes this.
  8. keenly

keenly

UK
    Are you aware of the published reports stating ADHD makes over $10 BILLION for pharmaceutical companies??

https://www.cchrint.org/2015/12/09/how-adhd-became-a-multi-billion-dollar-industry/

Did you know The 87-year-old American psychiatrist, Dr.Leon Eisenberg, made a statement to the German magazine Der Spiegel, a couple of months before his death that ADHD is a fictitious disease, which they put together for the benefit of drug companies in the new disease classification in the American Psychiatry Association’s DSM (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Diseases) (from the Journal, Indian Academy of Clinical Medicine l Vol. 14, No. 3-4 l July-December, 2013)?

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
  9. Basilico

Basilico Florida

My husband grew up in Italy, where his mother cooked every meal from scratch. He did not eat anything sugary or processed. In fact, he actually hates sweet stuff, desserts and candy make him nauseous. And even now with all our health problems, we still cook almost all our meals from scratch using high quality organic ingredients.

It was not until he was an adult and living with me in the US that he realized he had ADD because it is not a recognized diagnosis in Italy. His whole life he suffered and forced himself to cope with it through his sheer willpower.

In the US, he saw a psychiatrist, who confirmed his diagnosis, and prescribed ADD meds. When my husband took the first pill, he said it was a mind-blowing experience, because for the first time he understood how insanely chaotic his brain was.

On medication, he said he was able to have linear thoughts, just think about one thing at a time which he’d never done before in his life. Normally he thinks of many things simultaneously in a somewhat confusing mess. On meds, it’s like being alone in a quiet room, focusing on one task, off meds it’s like trying to think about, fix, and deal with 10 unrelated problems in the center of a crazy party with blasting music.

He ultimately doesn't tolerate those meds and hasn't been able to take them in years. If he were able to cure his CFS tomorrow, he still wouldn't be able to hold down a traditional job because his ADD is too extreme. It also causes symptoms that are sometimes similar to OCD; when he gets a thought in his head, he can't think about anything else until he researches or deals with that thought.

On the positive side, he absorbs and remembers information like a sponge, he has a scary high level of intelligence (he's never been tested, but I think it's likely his IQ is extremely high), and he has an extremely creative and out of the box approach to problem solving and can come up with novel solutions to any problem.

His ADD is very much real, and something he must fight against every day of his life. You claiming that it is a diagnosis that doesn't exist is the same as claiming CFS doesn't exist...extremely ignorant and just plain wrong.

Big Pharma makes tons of money on blood pressure medicines...does this mean that blood pressure/heart problems don't exist???

Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    Augmentum, Silencio, Sushi and 2 others like this.
  10. Basilico

Basilico Florida

@keenly , you have a habit of posting replies from quacks that are unsupported (your Jack Kruse threads) and that you, yourself, don't actually seem to understand very clearly. I don't see a difference between saying that ADD is a made up disorder or that CFS is a made up disorder.

Please, please, please think about how you would feel if someone started claiming that the health conditions you struggle with day in and day out don't exist.

11. boombachi

boombachi Senior Member

Hampshire, UK
    Overmedication is not the same as a diagnosis being made up. There is a school of thought that ADHD is at the extreme end of a continuum of normal variations in brain wiring/chemistry. That could apply to all psychiatric diagnosis since none of them have agreed biomarkers (apologies if there are some that I am not aware of).

None of this means that it is not debilitating to be one of those individuals at the extreme end. Medication is not the answer for everyone but they should be able to make an informed decision.

keenly you may be right that children may be being medicated unnecessarily for all manner of conditions but that doesn't mean there aren't those who have left school with no qualifications because they couldn't manage their impulses or focus on lessons and access to medication may have helped them.

12. Manganus

Manganus Senior Member

Canary islands
    So you say!

And what's your proposition?

13. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    Just because Big Pharma makes a ton of money from drugs for ADHD doesn't mean that ADHD doesn't exist. They make a ton of money from all sorts of drugs for cancer, does that mean cancer doesn't exist?

Are you aware that Dr Mercola, who sells all sorts of alternative therapies, makes about:

$9.8 million per year from Mercola.com LLC
    $5.2 million per year from Mercola.com Health Resources LLC
    $320,000 per year from Mercola Consulting Services LLC

Now I could apply your thinking to Big Alternative Therapy -- Mercola makes millions therefore ... . Since he makes a truckload of money from selling health products why not lump him in with Big Pharma.

Meds making people money, Alternative therapies making people money -- what does it all mean?

So one person says that ADHD was made up, one person claims that CFS comes from aliens -- must be true because one person said so. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

There is something physically going on with children with real ADHD -- if you give a child with ADHD ritalin it calms them down -- ritalin is a central nervous stimulant -- it should stimulate a child but it has an opposite effect. Like I said, ritalin is probably over-prescribed but for some children it would be cruel not to give it to them. Why don't you research ADHD prior to making ignorant comments about something you obviously know nothing about.

Do you like it when people dismiss and trivialize ME/CFS?

14. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    Just curious @keenly do you believe HIV/AIDS exists

Manganus and Valentijn like this.
  15. keenly

keenly

UK
    Just curious have you watched the House of Numbers documentary?

16. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    I guess you have answered my question that you don't believe that HIV/AIDS exists.

No, I haven't watched that particular AIDS-denialist documentary but have heard of it. I just googled it and apparently it is, well, to put it bluntly, a pile of steaming turds, full of lies etc etc.

Here are some links for those who want to follow up how bad this documentary actually is:

http://www.badscience.net/2009/09/house-of-numbers/

https://mylespower.co.uk/2013/05/20/vital-information-missing-in-the-documentary-house-of-numbers/

https://mylespower.co.uk/2013/05/20/vital-information-missing-in-the-documentary-house-of-numbers/

So over 35 million people have died of a non-existent disease -- all those kaposi's sarcoma's, fungal pneumonia's were down to bad diet or something? Do some real research. I knew a family with two boys, both who had haemophilia as did their father. They all received tainted blood products. They died. I wonder what they died of if it wasn't HIV infection.

How about we make this easy, are there any illnesses/diseases that you actually think exist on their own merit? Or are you going to marginalize and dismiss all illnesses?

As an ex-Registered Nurse I am not going to deny and trivialize illness nor am I going to waste my time watching bat shit crazy videos.

17. keenly

keenly

UK

WOW
    That is your response to a simple question.

So hostile.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017
  18. Silencio

Silencio Senior Member

Ah.. c'mon everyone. Let's be nice to each other eh?

Relating to the original topic of ADHD. I recently had a qEEG done and the neuroscientist said my brain had elevated alpha and beta activity across multiple areas, similar to the patterns seen in ADHD patients. So I think there may be some overlap between our ME brain activity, with ADHD. I have problems like @boombachi mentioned.. maintaining and switching attention, retaining and retrieving information, all documented by cognitive testing. I did not have ADHD prior to getting sick.

Is mazindol a drug in trials, that is not currently on the market? I wonder if it would help some of us..

These are some of the studies he referenced.
    1. Billiot, K. M., Budzynski, T. H., & Andrasik, F. (1997). EEG Patterns and
    chronic fatigue syndrome. Journal of Neurotherapy, 2(2), 20-30.
    2. Clarke, A. R., Barry, R. J., Dupuy, F. E., McCarthy, R., Selikowitz, M. &
    Johnstone, S. J. (2013). Excess beta activity in the EEG of children with
    attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: A disorder of arousal? International
    Journal of Psychophysiology, 89(3), 314-319.
    3. Clarke, A. R., Barry, R. J., McCarthy, R., & Selikowitz, M. (2001). Excess
    beta activity in children with attention deficit/hyperactivity disorder: an
    atypical electrophysiological group. Psychiatry Research, 103(2-3), 205-218.
    4. Hermens, D. F., Soei, E., Clarke, S. D., Kohn, M. R., Gordon, E. & Williams,
    L. M. (2005). Resting EEG theta activity predicts cognitive performance in
    attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder. Pediatric Neurology, 32, 248-256.
    5. Koehler, S., Lauer, P., Schreppel, T., Jacob, C., Heine, M., Boreatti-Hümmer,
    A., Fallgatter, A. J. & Herrmann, M. J. (2009). Increased EEG power density
    in alpha and theta bands in adult ADHD patients. Journal of Neural
    Transmission, 116, 97-104.

19. Kina

Kina Admin Support Staff

Ontario, Canada
    It makes me very angry when I read about people denying that HIV exists. Trust me, if I said what I wanted to say I would probably have to ban myself. :rofl:

Hutan, Never Give Up and Valentijn like this.
  20. keenly

keenly

UK
    WOW

You must not like Liam Scheff then.

Why is Dr. Kary Mullis not accurate? He was there from the start. He won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry 1994 for inventing the Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR).

No matter what your views will not change, so have a nice day.

God bless those challenging the system.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2017

See more popular forum discussions.