James Coyne “lays waste” to PACE trial in Edinburgh
Sasha summarises Professor James Coyne's recent no-holds-barred talk on the PACE trial and points you to the slides, video, audio and transcript.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Is absorption of transdermal thiamine comparable to injection?

Discussion in 'Problems Standing: Orthostatic Intolerance; POTS' started by annabettina, Oct 26, 2016.

1. JasonUT

JasonUT Senior Member

@Lolinda

I'd love to find TKA, TPPE and EGRAC tests in the USA. I haven't found any labs that do it. For now, I am having to rely on SpectraCell Micronutrient. It seems some people love SpectraCell and others aren't so sure.

2. Learner1

Learner1 Professional Patient

Pacific Northwest
    I have had both SpectraCell and Genova Diagnostics NutrEval.

I find SpectraCell to be an exercise in frustration as its missing so much information that's on the NutrEval which has been essential in determining which processes aren't functioning and how to optimize nutrients to support them. My family has used it for 9 years and it has provided a great deal of help.

During case studies at a major conference of functional medicine doctors, most used NutrEval, but no one used SpectraCell. They used OAT tests so patients could save money (with a lot less info) and the HDRI Methylation Panel, which can be quite useful if you have someone who can properly interpret it, but again the info is limited.

3. tango

tango Senior Member

New Zealand
    I had B1 deficiency on my OAT test and I have been using lipothiamine which is combined with ALA.

I'm on my mobile which makes quoting difficult but an earlier poster said
    "alpha lipoic acid drains B1 and is dangerous on thiamine deficiency" so it seems strange that it should be combined. Especially as this product is recommended by Derrick Lonsdale who is a pioneer in thiamine research and helped formulate allithiamine and lipothiamine.
    Having read the post linked under the comment it would appear that the ALA isn't a problem???

I have some benfotiamine so I may try popping some in water or lotion and try the transdermal route. I'm not in the USA and don't have access to the transketolase tests but I do well on thiamine, it's low on the OAT and my symptoms match so it seems a good idea to try and find ways to improve absorption of thiamine.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    sb4 likes this.
  4. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    @tango, you have now on iherb allithiamine from the same producter as lipothiamine (cardiovascular research group/ecological formulas)
    and on the contrary to lipothiamine which includes ALA, there is no ALA.
    See from iherb site :

Amount Per Serving %Daily Value*
    Thiamine (TTFD)
    (as thiamin tetrahydrofurfuryl disulfide) 50 mg 2467%
    Calcium (as dicalcium phosphate) 75 mg 8%
    Phosphorus (as dicalcium phosphate) 58 mg 6%

tango likes this.
  5. Gondwanaland

Gondwanaland Senior Member

I think they are synergists and, as long they are taken together in the proportions of this specific supplement, ALA shouldn't be a problem. Obviously taking extra B1 shouldn't be a problem either in this context.

Learner1 and tango like this.
  6. tango

tango Senior Member

New Zealand
    Thanks, I saw the allithiamine but I keep away from calcium supplementation. I find it overstimulating and b1 needs magnesium which I can't tolerate. Adding calcium further upsets the magnesium calcium ratios and as supplementing magnesium makes me extremely agitated and lowers my already low blood pressure I have to stick with getting magnesium only from foods.

Hopefully that will change over time but I've tried extremely low doses of magnesium, transdermal oils and mineral drops and have had bad reactions to them all

7. tango

tango Senior Member

New Zealand
    Ah! That makes sense thank you.

I took a break from lipothiamine but I need to start it again. I'm not sure my body likes ALA but I like the fact that this supplement is enteric coated and supposedly better absorbed.

Gondwanaland likes this.
  8. tango

tango Senior Member

New Zealand
    Has anyone tried transdermal benfotiamine? According to someone who knows more about this than I do the absorption depends on the molecular weight of the vitamin and some are not easily absorbed via the skin without manipulation.

I'm keen to try some non oral forms of thiamine

Had anyone tried these thiamine patches? Pretty expensive but if they worked...
    http://www.gfeglobal.com/mosquito-guard-by-ecotrap-transdermal-patch/

sb4 and Gondwanaland like this.

See more popular forum discussions.