1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
A disease with two faces? Re-naming ME/CFS
Persuasion Smith covers the bases on the misleading and disreputable name for our disease we've all been saddled with ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

is a spinal tap a reliable test for Lyme?

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Aerose91, Mar 10, 2014.

1. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Im going to be getting an IgeniX test done, mostly hecause my doctor is interested in Bartonella and Biorella. However, he may want to do lyme as well just to be safe. I did have the regular blood test done which i know is worthless but i also had a test for lyme in my spinal tap which also came back negative. Is an LP result accurate? Or should i still spring for the lyme part, too. Im just trying to save money where i can since its very tight.

2. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    From http://www.aldf.com/faq.shtml:

If it were me, I would go ahead and test for Lyme if your doctor thinks that test is worthwhile as well.

3. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Hmmm, thats an interesting article. I had it done about 5 months after onset, that would still be early on right?

May still be a good idea if i can scrounge up the $$ tho

4. lnester7

lnester7 Seven

USA
    Interesting I am wondering the same since mine came back negative in both too.

5. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
    It's impossible to know. It depends how fast the infection disseminated in your body.

In some people that can take a matter of months; in others, it can take years.

Allyson likes this.
  6. Ema

Ema Senior Member

Midwest USA
  7. Allyson

Allyson *****

Australia, Melbourne
    there are a few good Lyme pages on fb - Lyme Australia and friend is a good one with some informed people who may be able to help on this

Good luck

8. Aerose91

Aerose91 Senior Member

Ema,

Thanks for those links, im going to try them out. It would be great to get some as i would feel more confident covering all bases

See more popular forum discussions.