1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome Clearly Linked to Gut Bacteria

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by Waverunner, May 26, 2012.

1. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Hi Sara,

Thankfully I don't need it anymore but it used to be 1 or2 x 500 mg/day and it helped back then in 2010/2011 when I had bad cramping.

2. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Thanks Oceanblue,

Also according to our GI, aspiration and cultering bacteria from the small bowel, although this is the accepted gold standard, may have it's limitations as a bacterial overgrowth may be patchy and might take more than one attempt to locate.

3. Glynis Steele

Glynis Steele Senior Member

Newcastle upon Tyne UK
    Thanks Oceanblue,

Also according to our GI, aspiration and cultering bacteria from the small bowel, although this is the accepted gold standard, may have it's limitations as a bacterial overgrowth may be patchy and might take more than one attempt to locate.

Sorry for the duplicate post, I had an error message come up, telling me to post again, so I did!

4. SilverbladeTE

SilverbladeTE Senior Member

Somewhere near Glasgow, Scotland
    *takes a paint brush up, loads it with black paint, smears it across all the bullshit pyschobabble crap about IBS being "Psychsomatic" *
    or, waahtever mental-masturbatory name they wish to use, like, you know, "somatoform!"

more proof those assholes are FAKE, they are not anything to do with medical science, they are todays "phrenologists".
    Up yours, Weasels!

jimells likes this.
  5. xchocoholic

xchocoholic Senior Member

Florida
    http://www.gidoctor.net/small-intestinal-bacterial-overgrowth.php

This part is new to me ...

Waverunner likes this.
  6. mellster

mellster Marco

San Francisco
    Interesting, I definitely feel that my former cramping and general longer GI episodes have done something akin to muscular disturbance. Maybe a purely functional effect of misfiring/cramping or "headless" motility often seen and described patients with GI issues and stomach sounds.

7. Waverunner

Waverunner Senior Member

Thanks for posting this, xchocoholic. I'm allergic to Erythromycin but zinc, as well as Align were the only things that helped me. I have not tried Rifaximin for the last 4 years but I'm eager to try it again. It's very interesting, that Naltrexone stimulates gut motility, I didn't know that. Taken together these findings could imply that zinc, Align, Naltrexone as well as Rifaximin are a very viable treatment approach for low motility caused SIBO.

8. xchocoholic

Florida
    I'm looking for who needs to retreat .. I suspect since I have celiac disease and gastroparesis, I need to follow his suggestions. I'm going to run these articles past my doctors ask about getting tested for SIBO. tc ... x

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC420464/

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20027008

9. xchocoholic

Florida
  10. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

A new IBS biomarker... they seem to keep coming up with them. Have they had any luck in putting them together? Does anyone know if we're getting meaningful treatments for people?

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2012/05/120507141148.htm

I had a little belly ache recently, and it made life a lot less fun - sympathies to all those with more chronic problems.

11. xchocoholic

Florida
    Based on the other ibs studies on that same page, I'm guessing their using the term ibs as
    an excuse for continuing research on a symptom disguised as a bogus illness. Research is big business.

Ibs is from a varirty of factors like celiac, divertuculi ,
    food intolerances, intolerances to chemicals we shouldn't be ingesting anyways, parasites, etc etc

Functional medicine looks for causes of ibs like the ones I mentioned above .. Tc .. X

12. voner

voner Senior Member

Hey,

I just got done reading Dr. Pimentel's book.

http://www.amazon.com/New-IBS-Solution-Mark-Pimentel/dp/0977435601

I found it pretty fascinating & highly recommendable.

Has anybody else out there read this book and understand the details of his theory?

He even has a chapter on fibromyalgia and the gut.

I found his take on probiotics, where the bacterial overgrowth is actually occurring, and the importance of reestablishing a cleansing wave to be new and convincing material for me.

13. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA
    Yes, I read that book when it came out. Based on Pimentel's ideas, I got my first successful treatment for IBS-D in 2007, if I am not mistaken. However, these are no longer Pimentel's ideas. At the end of 2011, rifaximin was established via clinical trial as an effective treatment for IBS-D: Rifaximin therapy for patients with irritable bowel syndrome without constipation.

14. voner

voner Senior Member

Thanks for the reference. I know from reading his book, he separates constipation and no constipation out his patients. He appears to be doing the same thing here.

I wonder what is his current thinking?

rifaximin is extremely expensive.....

But the thought occurs to me that using rifaximin for irritable bowel syndrome might get approved through insurance a heck of a lot easier than for me/cfs...

I haven't read the paper, but I did not have to attend that doctor Pimentel this getting consulting fees from the pharmaceutical company that owns the patent. The upside of that is that it might get approved for insurance much faster.

Hmmmmmmm.....

15. nanonug

nanonug Senior Member

Virginia, USA

Waverunner likes this.
  16. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    I get it fairly cheaply (generic) from a Canadian pharmacy. The brand name in the US is ridiculously expensive!

Sushi

17. voner

voner Senior Member

Sushi and nanoug,

Thanks for the great information. I'm going to pursue his protocol.

18. voner

voner Senior Member

So at the end of the video, Dr. Pimental mentions that it is a nervous system dysfunction rather than the overgrowth of critters that's out the source of the problem, according to his current thinking.

So do you guess this is going to connect into an autonomic nervous system dysfunction?

19. xchocoholic

Florida
  20. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

nanonug in the video that doctor claims that nerve dysfunction causes overgrowth. I'm not sure I completely buy that. My symptoms started after I came from Mexico. I got sick there eating their fruit. (they irrigate a lot of their crops with sewer water).

Chicken or egg, simple doxycycline kills whatever lives in my gut. I have a hard time believing that 10% of americans with this bacterial overgrowth have nerve dysfunction.

H pylori in mice destroys dopamine and dopamine neurons. That in my mind can be a major cause of CFS. Again, they do not have to induce nerve dysfunction, all they have to do in mice is load them up with bacteria and boom they have parkinsons shortly.

The bacteria induce nerve dysfunction, it is not the other way around.

In fact I can prove my theory so well that I have actually infected my significant others while I was sick with the gut bacteria.

The fact of the matter is we have immigrants and people traveling overseas picking up bugs we do not have innate immunity to. You know what happened to the Indians when the Pilgrims came over? Yes, they died of disease. That is what is causing a lot of CFS IMO.

See more popular forum discussions.