New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Irritable bowel syndrome and chronic fatigue six years after Giardia infection...

Discussion in 'Latest ME/CFS Research' started by Bob, Aug 15, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    This paper refers to Giardia infection and chronic fatigue rather than CFS. I thought it might be of interest to some members.

Irritable bowel syndrome and chronic fatigue six years after Giardia infection: a controlled prospective cohort study.
    Hanevik K, Wensaas KA, Rortveit G, Eide GE, Mørch K, Langeland N.
    Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Aug 12. pii: ciu629. [Epub ahead of print]
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25115874/

goldberg, Sidereal, SB_1108 and 3 others like this.
  2. SB_1108

SB_1108 Senior Member

I developed CFS about 8 years after I developed IBS - so I wonder how the results would have been different factoring in more time. And actually I had the stomach flu about 4 months before the onset of CFS... I've always felt like that was a catalyst for me.

Bob likes this.
  3. Martial

Martial Senior Member

Ventura, CA
    Small intestine bacterial overgrowth plays for a large portion of IBS cases. Wonder how much of a problem that is for some here.

edit* Just read that the parasitic infection targets the small intestine, with cycles of life that includes cysts... Very interesting. Seems like these people still have an active infection that was not properly treated.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

5. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Fatigue was designed as a score of 4 or more on the Chalder fatigue questionnaire (bimodal scoring, 11-item version).

Unfortunately, they didn't try to assess CFS.

They also looked at severe fatigue which was a score of 23 or more on the Chalder fatigue questionnaire (likert scoring, 11-item version). One might guess that a reasonable percentage of these have CFS or a CFS-like condition.

At 3 years:
    Giardia exposed: 15.1%
    Controls: 2.1%

At 6 years:
    Giardia exposed: 9.0%
    Controls: 2.6%

6. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

They discuss the issue of chronic infection:
    So it doesn't look like it's an issue (but I'm no expert)

7. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I thought it was interesting that those who has fatigue at 3 years in the post-giardia group were more likely to have fatigue at 6 years compared to the control group:
    If one thinks of CFS research, there is some discussion on predictors of response/non-response or recovery/non-recovery. In a mixed fatigue group, this suggests that those whose followed an infection are less likely to recover than a mixed group (which presumably includes many whose fatigue wasn't due to an infection). This would be a different predictor to some of the psychological/biopsychosocial predictors that are mentioned sometimes.

8. goldberg

goldberg

Very interesting,
    I developed IBS after an intestinal infection during a trip and CFS after four years of IBS,
    perhaps a Giardia infection modifies our microbiome long term?

SB_1108 and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.