• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iron/MTHFR

Hi...first let me say am new to this subject of methylation.

Ok, had a dr to test me and she found this: MTHFR: Genotype C/T(C677T) and A/C (A1298C).
She prescribed l methylfolate...Deplin 15 mg but I didn't feel good on this, felt worse (have treatment resistant depression). Now doing Life Extension brand and only 1 mg. Feel somewhat better. Also doing some MB12 Life Extension brand.

Have a lot of questions but here is my main one...

Have read on the Internet forums that those with this MTHFR thing may have a hard time handling metals like iron, copper, zinc. I did test weird on my iron tests...ferritin low normal (also had inflammation at that time...poison ivy) but total iron was a couple of pts over normal, iron binding capacity upper normal, and % sat upper normal. Had not taken any iron for 48 hrs before the test (two days earlier had taken a multi vit and min that happen to have iron...because of my husband mainly I purchase vit/mineral supps without iron) but taking a lot of vit C when tested.

As for MTHFR and folate, I'll pass this on...

Years ago when my folic acid serum test was done, it was super high, elevated even I hadn't taken any folic acid supplements or eaten before the test. Now having learned about this MTHFR thing I better understand the reason for that elevation...I wasn't breaking down the folic into l methylfolate, the active component.

Thank you So Much for taking the time to read this,

Annie