• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iron levels

Hutan

I've recently and belatedly got around to putting my numerous lab test results into spreadsheets, colour coded for high and low results. It's highlighted some interesting results.

(Note to any newly diagnosed ME/CFS person - you are probably going to accumulate a lot of lab results and your GP/PCP is probably not going to have the time to compare and contrast them in detail. So, assuming your medical system doesn't aggregate results for you, get some spreadsheets set up early.)

My iron results are odd. Here's the results from the last serum iron test (a year ago):

Test My result Ref range Evaluation
Iron 21 9-30 normal
Ferritin 73 15-200 normal
Transferrin 1.85 2.0-3.6 low
Transferrin saturation % 46 optimum range is 25-35 high
TIBC 46.6 47.6-80.2 low

The iron, ferritin and transferrin tests have been roughly the same over all of the three tests that have measured these things. The transferrin saturation and TIBC were only measured in this last test.

My 23andMe result tells me that I am homozygous G allele for re1799945 (H63D) in the HFE gene that encodes the hemochromatosis protein. This is a risk factor for hemochromatosis but my C282Y SNP is normal. I think that probably means I don't have hereditary hemochromatosis but some studies suggest that that homozygous allele H63D still does affect iron distribution.

I do have markers of ongoing inflammation e.g. mildly raised CRP (9 to 20 compared with ref range of <5); ESR elevated; serum albumin consistently low. Hemoglobin is normal.

Long story short - I am trying to work out if this is worth following up. And if so, what the possible hypotheses might be (eg iron overload; anemia of chronic disease). I'll get another full iron test in any case.

@Eeyore, I see that you have looked in to iron levels. Maybe you have a comment?

Has anyone else had a similar pattern?

Little Bluestem

All Good Things Must Come to an End
No similar pattern.
Has your lead been tested. It may be high if you have anemia of chronic disease.