• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Irish Times May 2nd CFS: An Invisible and Untreatable Illness

Countrygirl

https://www.irishtimes.com/life-and...n-invisible-and-untreatable-illness-1.3059550

Chronic fatigue syndrome: an invisible and untreatable illness
Causes of the condition are not known but some say it comes from viral infections
Tue, May 2, 2017, 07:00
Patrick Kelleher

image.jpg

Patrise O’Hanlon: ‘I did attempt to go back to work last September. I lasted a total of seven days and I went into a big relapse.’

Share to FacebookShare to TwitterShare to Email AppShare to Pinterest

When Orla Ní Chomhraí was just 23, her life was thrown into turmoil by debilitating exhaustion. Unable to concentrate and struggling to even hold conversations, she sought medical help.

Almost 20 years later, Ní Chomhraí (42) still suffers with the symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS). Also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis (ME), the untreatable condition has changed her life. Within six weeks of her symptoms developing, she was diagnosed with the illness. The illness is so debilitating that she often has to use a mobility scooter outside her house.

Ní Chomhraí’s story began when she contracted an infection in the summer of 1998. While the infection went away, the chronic fatigue did not. At the time, she hoped she would recover within a few weeks. Today, she says, she has had to learn to come to terms with her condition.

“It has affected my life hugely,” Ní Chomhraí says. “I haven’t been able to work. I’m very interested in history and I have a degree in it, but I can’t read very much now. I’m not able for it.”

Apologies for voicing a further critique of terminology but I do question whether 'invisible' is a useful term given the battle for recognition we face~ what sort of things are invisible: your guardian angel? Casper the friendly ghost? I find myself prompting new acquaintances by saying, 'An invisible illness is not the same as an imaginary illness' but there's too much sloppy overlap between those words beginning in 'i' in the public mind. The fact that the etiology of the illness is still not visible to lab workers through whatever scientific tools they work with is double-the-obscurity. I don't feel it serves us well to have the 'invisible illness' phrase as a near official subtitle.

Is there more to this term than I'm allowing? Do others resonate with it?