1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

IoM study on Gulf War Illness definition has issued their report

Discussion in 'Institute of Medicine (IOM) Government Contract' started by Nielk, Mar 12, 2014.

1. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    justinreilly, Ren, WillowJ and 7 others like this.
  2. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Ren and Esther12 like this.
  3. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    And assuming that the results for ME will likely be similar, what else could that $1 million have been used towards? Perhaps Ian Lipkin or Fluge and Mella have a few thoughts on the subject.

justinreilly, Ren, Sasha and 6 others like this.
  4. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Exactly my thoughts, @CBS

5. Ember

Ember Senior Member

Scientific panel unable to come up with singular definition for Gulf War illness
    By Patricia Kime
    Mar. 12, 2014 - 04:36PM

“'It is hardly surprising that based on a literature review alone, the committee was not able to develop a new case definition ... this fruitless process cost VA $850,000,' said James Binns, chairman of the RAC-GWVI.”

More...

Report: Gulf War symptoms too broad for one definition
    Kelly Kennedy, USA TODAY
    5:11 p.m. EDT March 12, 2014
    More...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
    justinreilly likes this.
  6. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Jeanette Burmeister -

IOM Admits Lack of Expertise in GWI Report

more...

justinreilly likes this.
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Erica Verillo -

IOM Retracts "Chronic Multi-Symptom Illness," Recommends BOTH Case Definitions for GWI

more...

justinreilly and Ren like this.
  8. CBS

CBS Senior Member

Western US
    Either the IOM knew this was coming and they still took the $1 million imagining that they could do same thing and come up with a different result (definition of insanity) or they didn't have a clue this was coming (definition of incompetent and unbelievable).

In my book, those who gave the money, those who took the money, and the CFS advocates and "experts" who legitimized the whole farce are acting in an immoral and indefensible manner (especially if they do not now quit knowing what they cannot deny today) in the face of so much pain and suffering - and the band played on!

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
    justinreilly likes this.
  9. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    CFIDS AA: A Tale of Two IOM Committees: http://solvecfs.org/tale-of-two-iom-committees/

justinreilly likes this.
  10. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    The CAA states:

The 2003 CCC has been widely accepted by clinicians and researchers worldwide. It's the US government via HHS, NIH and CDC who refuse to accept the CCC. The IACFS/ME has adopted the 2003 CCC and distributed their Primer for Physicians. It seems to me that it is only CAA and HHS who are refusing to do so.

Unless the new definition resulting from the IoM study (if they come up with one) is not as strict as the CCC, it will not be widely accepted. Physicians, researchers, advocates and patients will not accept it.

As far as the fact that the CAA consistently states that the CCC has some merit but is not 'perfect', how is the CAA so confident that the result from the IoM study will be 'perfect'? Is it because the CAA prefers the diagnostic criteria of the CDC? Whatever the IOM will produce, the CAA will have no recourse because they have asserted all along their strong confidence that the well respected IOM is flawless and 'perfect'.

11. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    How absrurd is this statement from CAA, being that their own scientific director, Suzanne Vernon, served on the GWI/IOM panel! No bias here?

justinreilly likes this.
  12. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    We can all rest assured though that the GWI/IOM study was properly reviewed......by Simon Wessely.

justinreilly, Roy S and Bob like this.
  13. Ren

Ren Primum Non Nocere

Potemkin Village
    I'm not up to reading everything but wanted to throw in a few comments that came to mind (please forgive any repeats):

1) From post 5 and re the USA Today article, "Report: Gulf War symptoms too broad for one definition."

Compare this to the VA webpage* which states (- emphasis added):

"A prominent condition affecting Gulf War Veterans is a cluster of medically unexplained chronic symptoms that can include... VA refers to these illnesses as "chronic multisymptom illness" and "undiagnosed illnesses." We prefer not to use the term “Gulf War Syndrome” when referring to medically unexplained symptoms reported by Gulf War Veterans. Why? Because symptoms vary widely"

(FYI - this is the same VA webpage which lists CFS as a CMI.)

*http://www.publichealth.va.gov/expo...-unexplained-illness.asp#sthash.iD8kUq3M.dpuf

So IOM says the the symptoms are too broad for one definition (CMI) - while VA says one term (CMI) is used because the symptoms are broad. (Clear as mud.) How will this affect VA policy?

2) Also - for what's it's worth - just a reminder that the contract for this IOM study has been MIA, just as the IOM ME/CFS contract has been MIA. (Please say - anyone - if you've heard of any change in this. Thanks.)

3) Re Kenneth Shine in post 6 - Please mentally file this info on Shine as well:

"... the Chair of the panel, Kenneth Shine, is both a Director of UnitedHealth Insurance (undisclosed in bio) and a past President of IoM. UnitedHealth is the nation's largest health insurer with $5.1 Billion in profits in 2011."

This and other panel info (as a reference tool) can be found on the following PR thread (thank you! to justinreilly): http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...ition-panel-it-aint-pretty.26553/#post-405907

justinreilly and Nielk like this.

See more popular forum discussions.