• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Iodine, the hidden deficiency epidemic.

drob31

I was using iodine at 400 mcg last year with good results (before my crash). After my crash I tried iodoral per my doctors advice. After a few days I had allot of energy and was feeling good. Then all of a sudden I crashed very hard. Hair was falling out 10x, and I got extremely cold. I'm not sure why this happened but it made me go very hypo. I tried a smaller dose (3 mg) a few months later and immediate experienced the same thing.

I'm not sure if this is a hashimoto's reaction or what.

Eight drops of lugol's 5% is 50 milligrams.

"Dr. David Brownstein said, “After testing individuals and finding low iodine levels, I began to use smaller milligram amounts of iodine/iodide (6.25mg/day). Upon retesting these individuals 1-2 months later, little progress was made. I therefore began using higher milligram doses (6.25-50mg) to increase the serum levels of iodine. It was only with these higher doses that I began to see clinical improvement as well as positive changes in the laboratory tests. Why would people need the larger doses of iodine? Why have iodine levels fallen 50% in the last 30 years? As I pondered these questions, I came to the conclusion that the toxicity of modern life must be impacting iodine levels. It is well known that the toxic halides, fluoride and bromide, having a similar structure as iodine, can competitively inhibit iodine absorption and binding in the body. Because of the elevated levels of toxic halides in the environment and in the food supply, iodine levels have not only fallen but larger amounts of iodine are necessary to correct iodine deficiency as well as to promote a detoxifying effect of heavy metals.”

Farrow recommends starting at 12.5 milligrams and titrating up as needed. I've been at 50 mg for nearly a year, and seeing improvements, but ready to move up. Like the mega dosers in the b-12 protocol--I think some folks just need more. Historically, doses up to 900,000 micrograms (mcg) have been given. I'd call that a "very high dose."