• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Investigator bias and the PACE trial by Steve Lubet in Journal of Health Psychology

Esther12

Just read this - and again, like the Jason piece, it opens up another avenue of criticism. Good to see. Thanks a lot to Lubet.

I don't really have much to say about it, other than that I am looking foreward to the response from the PACE team. I suspect that they'd try to point to the independent over-sight of the PACE trial... would be nice to get some of those responsible for this oversight more actively engaged in the discussion imo. Looks to me as if they've got some explaining to do.

I'm not sure how solid all the work on researcher biases is, some of it looks a bit biased itself to me. Would be funny if the PACE lot tried to challenge that though, as it generally seems much more solid than the work on emotional/coginitive distortions amongst CFS patients.

Last edited:

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
So am I correct to assume this is a massive blow not only for PACE, but for the entire model and it's authors?
I doubt it, they will gaslight for as long as anyone will listen.
The massive blow will be its retraction which they will fight tooth and nail. They will fight dirty to prevent it, reality deniers don't go down willingly, their entire self worth is on the line.