• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Investigating using FITNET to treat paediatric CFS/ME in UK (FITNET-NHS)

Comet

I'm Not Imaginary
There is enough evidence for Esther Crawley and her bunch to know what ME is at this point. For her to continue in this vein is unethical and, imo, immoral and inhumane.

Do people in the UK lose their licenses for potentially harming patients? Why is she allowed to continue?

halcyon

Do people in the UK lose their licenses for potentially harming patients? Why is she allowed to continue?
Maybe because she's not even recruiting ME patients, just kids with chronic fatigue. Unless I missed it, it doesn't even say what inclusion criteria they intend to use.

Vasha

Comment:
No 6-minute walking test nor fitness test which gave null results for CBT in PACE trial.

No actometers/pedometers

Patient self-reports in nonblinded trials can be inaccurate/biased after therapy.

The utter lack of objective outcome measures (with the possible exception of school attendance--but at what cost to the child?) certainly sticks out.

Further, the treatment groups are not even arguably equivalent in the way you would want them to be in order to impose some basic controls.

The CBT/FITNET arm involves weekly contact with a therapist and completing 21 homework modules. The protocol does not say what kind of contact.

The Adaptive Pacing (edit: Activity Management--I can't keep up with the different terms) arm involves three Skype calls with some instructions and otherwise the family is left to its own devices. With the potential for a maximum (so it could be fewer?) of three calls with the family's physician.

These are very different! The therapist contact could even be in-person contact.

At a minimum, the arms should have equivalent:
-contact (to account for any benefit (or artefact) that comes from the contact)
-exercises/homework
-work with the family physician

And they will be changing the protocol: "We will interview children, their parents and clinicians and use the results to make changes to the trial."

I see no meaningful way to compare these arms.

There is no indication of how long the trial itself will be.

The design is almost bizarrely poor. I am honestly puzzled as to why someone would use such weak methods.

A million pounds!!!

Vasha

Kati

Patient in training
http://www.nets.nihr.ac.uk/projects/hta/14192109

Cost £ 994,430.00

---

Comment:
No 6-minute walking test nor fitness test which gave null results for CBT in PACE trial.

No actometers/pedometers

Patient self-reports in nonblinded trials can be inaccurate/biased after therapy.

The timing of this is very interesting as Dr Speight is forbidden to see patients with ME (and his specialty is pediatrics) and forbidden to attend or speak in conferences about ME.

Who will speak for those children?

Seemingly this team received ethics approval to proceed. :(:mad::bang-head:

Cheshire

How do the CMRC, that keep repeating "ME is an organic disease", "we do biomedical research", justify that one of their prominent member use such lousy criteria that don't mean anything? There's a point when difficult compromise becomes impossible. For me, the breaking point has been reached when she published her "epidemiologic" study, whose methodology seems to come from some kind of "scientific study for the dumb". Her work is so bad, I really don't understand.

Even from a psychiatric point of view, this has no meaning. I've never seen criteria so vague in the DSM, fatigue, 3 months.
And the CBT they use is a caricature of psychotherapy. Chalder theory is simplistic yet, but transferred to a computer program, with rare interactions with real therapist?

This study is nothing but a spit in the face of patients.

Edit: grammar question: is "the CMRC" singular or plural? I've heard several times "the police are", in French, it's singular, "la police est", so a bit confusing for me...

Last edited:

worldbackwards

grammar question: is "the CMRC" singular or plural? I've heard several times "the police are", in French, it's singular, "la police est", so a bit confusing for me...
I think it can be either, as you could be referring to the body itself or the group of people who make it up. Although it probably isn't a good idea to expect the English to know how to speak our own language.:)

Chrisb

Edit: grammar question: is "the CMRC" singular or plural? I've heard several times "the police are", in French, it's singular, "la police est", so a bit confusing for me...

At risk of appearing pedantic I assume this question seeks an answer. According to Fowler's Modern English Usage a noun of multitude may stand either for a single entity or for the individuals who compose it, and such nouns are treated as singular or plural at discretion-"and sometimes, naturally, without discretion".

"In general it may be said that though there are always a better and a worse in the matter, there are seldom a right and a wrong."

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The utter lack of objective outcome measures (with the possible exception of school attendance--but at what cost to the child?) certainly sticks out.

Don't forget these two mentioned in passing:

how much the NHS and families spend on treatment and whether parents return to work

Surely this couldn't possibly lead to a conclusion that some unemployed are hiding behind (or even encouraging) their childrens' false illness beliefs and wasting public money in order to avoid having to go and do a day's work? I mean, Esther wouldn't stoop so low would she? Would she?

We will use the charities and the press (Science Media Centre) to help us inform patients.

Oh good, glad that's sorted.

TiredSam

The wise nematode hibernates
The SMC is not "the press". It is a profit-driven lobbying group which is used by psychobabblers to misinform and manipulate the actual press.
"the charities" she's talking about are not charities either, they are a front for psychobabblers to continue their continued campaign of misinformation and to facilitate access to vulnerable subjects for abusive experiments.

Snowdrop

Rebel without a biscuit
I wonder if there is any possibility that University of Bristol could be investigated for fraudulent use of funds.
There is no legitimate way to conflate simple fatigue with ME. As has been already said they aren't studying anything---and for a whole lot of money.

Cheshire

I wonder if there is any possibility that University of Bristol could be investigated for fraudulent use of funds.
There is no legitimate way to conflate simple fatigue with ME. As has been already said they aren't studying anything---and for a whole lot of money.

Yes, their "criteria" do not even fit the NICE guidelines:

state doctors should consider diagnosing CFS if a person has fatigue and all of the following apply:
The person should also have one or more of these symptoms:

• difficulty sleeping or insomnia
  • muscle or joint pain without inflammation
  • headaches
  • painful lymph nodes that are not enlarged
  • sore throat
  • poor mental function, such as difficulty thinking
  • symptoms getting worse after physical or mental exertion
  • feeling unwell or having flu-like symptoms
  • dizziness or nausea
  • heart palpitations without heart disease
http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Chronic-fatigue-syndrome/Pages/Diagnosis.aspx

Vasha

I think it can be either, as you could be referring to the body itself or the group of people who make it up. Although it probably isn't a good idea to expect the English to know how to speak our own language.:)

Brief further grammar-nerd aside for @Cheshire:

@Chrisb gave the rule. As a matter of usage:

In British English, the collective entity is plural: "Chelsea are winning the match."
In American English, the collective entity is singular: "Tampa is winning the baseball game."

Or "the NYPD is" in American but "the Met are" in British (I probably got the collective term wrong).

But it is still "the police are" or "the players are" on both sides of the Pond, I suppose because the implication of that construction is of individuals in a group.

(Also, I've recently seen the collective entity plural in the New Yorker, so Americans may be going the other way someday....)

Pedantic enough? :)

Vasha

Last edited:

Vasha

But then how are they going to conflate a placebo effect with a treatment effect?

It doesn't look like finding out the truth is the goal here.

I so prefer to believe that--even if misguided--intentions are to help. But even if the blinders of true belief were on everyone who developed it, it's really hard to explain this study design.

Sigh.

Vasha