1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Nitric oxide and its possible implication in ME/CFS (Part 2 of 2)
Andrew Gladman explores the current and historic hypotheses relating to nitric oxide problems in ME/CFS. This second article in a 2-Part series puts nitric oxide under the microscope and explores what it is, what it does and why it is so frequently discussed in the world of ME/CFS....
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Invest in ME/Prof Jonathan Edwards statement on UK Rituximab trial, 30 July

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Sasha, Jul 30, 2013.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Just in case anyone missed catly's post, the video for the latest Solve ME/CFS webinar, with Patrick McGowan re epigenetics, has now been posted:
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=QjrBP7MFVPY&feature=youtu.be&list=UUzrFQHNiCc_6AMpw_GpWZOA

And here's the dedicated thread about the study, in case helpful:
    http://forums.phoenixrising.me/inde...tion-modifications-associated-with-cfs.31960/

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
    aimossy, MeSci and Sasha like this.
  2. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Board Member

EBV has been known to mess up B cells to a different state for at least forty years. Once you have had an EBV infection your B cells are never the same again. But the problem is that this happens to more or less all of us (95%+ I think) so EBV messes up your B cells to a state that everyone else has and is completely normal for modern human beings. So this messing up cannot really be 'the cause' of anything. The more subtle issue is whether or not certain diseases specifically require EBV to have been around. That we know to be the case. Certain forms of Burkitt lymphoma and nasopharyngeal carcinoma need EBV. Lymphomas can be cured by removing EBV. The same sort of thing goes for Helicobacter, which most of us have. Certain lymphomas disappear if you remove the Helicobacter.

I think a lot of people working in this field think that the presence of EBV may 'permit' certain types of ME from occurring, but something else must explain why some people have this sort of ME and most people do not.

Gemini, Countrygirl, Ritto and 7 others like this.
  3. aimossy

aimossy Senior Member

NZ
    I thought this epigenetics study- although very small adds support to other research. Pathways in epigenetics showing the immune system and metabolic and kinase (protein?) are not working properly? Well that is my take on it, but again its a small study.

4. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    NK17 likes this.
  5. Jonathan Edwards

Jonathan Edwards Board Member

I think this is difficult to interpret. Taking hospital populations as a basis for epidemiological studies is problematic for various reasons. It also seems to me that they have not excluded a genetic reason - both MS and expression of HIV as AIDS are linked to HLA genes and maybe mutually exclusively. And as they point out it is very difficult to disentangle the potential causal role of HIV itself and of treatment. All in all the idea that the HIV treatment was the reason for a lower incidence of MS looks to me pretty speculative and not the most plausible. I don't think the finding would change my way of thinking about viruses and MS.

MeSci and Valentijn like this.
  6. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
    rosie26, catly and Sasha like this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    You've saved me the job of linking to it, so thanks, Bob! I thought it deserved a new thread, given that it's news that even people not following this 1,000-post thread would want to see. No reason not to discuss it here, of course.

Simon and Bob like this.

See more popular forum discussions.