1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Invest in ME - Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research into 'leaky gut syndrome'

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by Bob, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Bob

Bob

South of England
    I haven't seen this posted anywhere yet...
    It's a press release about Invest in ME's leaky gut study...

Crowdsourcing raises vital funds for ME research into 'leaky gut syndrome'
    Mon, 31 Mar 2014
    http://www.uea.ac.uk/mac/comm/media/press/2014/March/mefunding

read more...

2. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    Lipkin's planned research is about leaky gut syndrome? o_O

aimossy, Bob and rosie26 like this.
  3. Bob

Bob

South of England
    Not according to him, as far as I'm aware.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
    aimossy likes this.
  4. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    Didn't make sense to me when I read that either. I'll try and follow it up and ask them where they got that information from.

aimossy, SOC and vli like this.
  5. Ruthie24

Ruthie24 Senior Member

New Mexico, USA
    Looks to me like this research is happening at "The University of East Anglia and The Institute for Food Research" from what it says up above. Doesn't look like it's Lipkin's study at all.

snowathlete likes this.
  6. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    It isn't but there's mention in the press release about Lipkin.

aimossy likes this.
  7. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Bob likes this.
  8. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

Lipkin is only mentioned because of this:

"Leading scientists, including Dr Ian Lipkin from the Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University, have stated recently that they believe there is a strong link between leaky gut syndrome and ME."

That is all.

Bob likes this.
  9. N.A.Wright

N.A.Wright Guest

10. Bob

Bob

South of England
    aimossy likes this.
  11. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Just noticed this:

Do the researchers know how this study differs from/complements the Dr Ian Lipkin microbiome study he mentioned in his Sep 2013 CDC telephone broadcast?

Professor Carding commented that, as he understands it the study referred to is primarily descriptive in nature and restricted to describing the different populations of microbes present in the gut of CFS/ME patients and comparing them to control, non-affected populations.​

This isn't so - the Lipkin microbiome study isn't just descriptive. Here's the study design, which is on the campaign website:

http://www.microbediscovery.org/the-study/

The study will take place at Dr. Lipkin’s 60-strong Center for Infection and Immunity at Columbia University in New York, the world’s largest and most advanced academic center in microbe discovery and diagnosis. His team will use high-throughput DNA sequencing to identify viruses, bacteria and fungi in fecal samples from 100 ME/CFS patients and 100 carefully matched controls and will determine the amounts of each microbe using highly accurate real-time PCR assays that are specific for that microbe.

Levels of cytokines (immune-system messenger molecules) will be measured in the blood to generate an immune profile for each patient. Biostatisticians will then analyze the cytokine and microbiome profiles to identify a potential link to ME/CFS and to define the relationship between immune markers and candidate microbes. In addition, the team will develop antibody tests for any microbes that appear to be related to immune dysfunction.​

Good to see more studies on the gut, though.

aimossy and Simon like this.
  12. SOC

SOC Senior Member

USA
    I see. :) Apparently my brain stumbled over its own feet when it saw "Lipkin" and "crowdsourcing raises vital funds" and "gut" and totally missed (despite the fact that it's being done by different people in a completely different country) that it's a different study. :bang-head:

I really hate how cognitive dysfunction sneaks up on me. I think I'm doing a lot better cognitively and then my brain lets me down completely. :( I'm thinking it's a mental fatigue thing these days and I should simply not trust my brain after about 5:00 pm. :rolleyes:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
    aimossy, Ruthie24, Bob and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    Have one of these, SOC: :ill:

aimossy, Ruthie24 and SOC like this.

See more popular forum discussions.