1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Invest In Me 2013 conference speakers announced

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by justy, Jan 23, 2013.

1. SOC

SOC Moderator and Senior Member

USA
    Just a thought --
    Could it be as simple as building evidence that Gerada knows that good scientific evidence exists that ME/CFS is a physiological illness? While it's only a tiny little step, it's still a first step in documenting an awareness of the facts among the BPS crowd. It's one thing to claim they are unaware of evidence contrary to their theories, it's another to have to admit they know and are ignoring it.
    justy, Shell and vli like this.
  2. JayS

JayS

I don't think their model specifically excludes the possibility; they have created plenty of wiggle room to suggest, if need be, that severe ME is something that they don't even address. The CDC has done this: 'if you have symptom X, you do not have CFS.' This is why, if a longtime CFS patient develops a serious condition that is exclusionary for a CFS diagnosis...they don't have CFS anymore.

The 'abnormal illness beliefs' model may actually exist, but, regardless...do they know? It doesn't matter. If they do, they get to say 'we were not purporting to study CFS/ME' with a straight face, and if they don't, they can rationalize their ignorance by focusing only on their model, to the exclusion of all else.

If people cared about this disease, they wouldn't get away with it, but, generally, people don't, so they get to do and say whatever they want. The one thing that stands out is that Wessely is on record criticizing the Canadian Consensus. He may have created a conflict he would have been better off without, provided one day the CCC/ICC model is taken seriously by medical science.
    Min, Valentijn and SOC like this.
  3. Firestormm

Firestormm Guest

Cornwall England
    From MEA: http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=14274

:)
    justy likes this.
  4. Snow Leopard

Snow Leopard Senior Member

Australia
    I'd have just one question for Dr Clare Gerada at the conference: Why do UK psychiatrists continue to make non evidence based claims about CBT, GET. Specifically :

The ideas that they can lead to recovery (or at the very least improved employment outcomes)?
    Or the idea that these treatments are suitable for all patients, rather than a minority.

The evidence base does not support the above two claims, yet that is how it is practised.

I'm am not part of the anti-psych brigade. I do believe that some patients will benefit (in terms of quality of life) from either CBT or GET (depending on specific cases), but these are in the minority and moreover, the treatments should be targeted towards just these individuals rather than promoted as some sort of panacea for all.
  5. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Well IIMe have been trying to engage mainstream medicine for years - can this Gerada (married to SW - psycho) overcome her bias - we wait to find out.

Perhaps the medics hope we are idiots and cannot see their slimey, ignorant biasnesses. Boy oh boy may Gerada and her underlings get it and listen to patients they have always doubted. Yes Gerada your psychos.
  6. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I agree 100 per cent with the above statement. How can we complain about being ignored but then also complain if someone like Dr. Gerada attends? You can't have it both ways.

I think this is a step in a positive direction and could possibly help our situation.

Calling people psychos doesn't help and is the same thing we accuse Wessely et. al. of doing to patients with me/cfs.

Barb
  7. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Do any of the people who support Dr Gerada's attendance at the conference intend to pay and attend to hear her?
  8. barbc56

barbc56 Senior Member

I am severely foggy right now. I am not sure what you are saying.
  9. Mark

Mark Acting CEO

Sofa, UK
    I'd already paid to attend before I heard the list of speakers: this is an event I book early for, now, without having to see who's going to be there. I'm sure it will be a fascinating conference as always and an opportunity to meet some of the best ME/CFS researchers and hear about the latest developments.

I'm not really paying to hear Dr Gerada, I'm there for the biomedical research (and to meet one or two friends and make new ones of course), but I'll listen with interest to what she has to say and I'll go with an open mind about why she's there. I think it's a good thing that somebody like Dr Gerada should be present in order to be more aware of the work of some of our best researchers, and I hope she stays all day and hears something of interest that changes her perspective. I know that's what I expect to happen to me, again - there is always something valuable to be learnt at IiME.

I'd like to hear something about some of the other researchers on this thread, rather than just Dr Gerada. There are a few on the list that I haven't heard of before and know nothing about. It would be nice to look forward to the conference here by sharing information about all the other speakers as well.
    justy, anne_likes_red and barbc56 like this.
  10. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Sorry Barb, it wasn't directed at you.

I'm just curious to know how many people commenting here are paying and attending the conference.
  11. peggy-sue

peggy-sue

Scotland
    I think it's brilliant that Gerada is attending.
    I hope she gets absolutely swamped with information and evidence she cannot ignore and that she turns and becomes one of our greatest champions.
    Or failing that, that she is shown up for denying evidence and becomes, very publicly, completely discredited.
    Valentijn likes this.
  12. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    If you have any questions for the speakers, you can present them here.
  13. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    This is the Agenda:

CONFERENCE PROGRAMME
    Start
    Presenter
    Presentation
    from07.45
    Registration - early morning coffee/tea available
    Dr Ian Gibson
    Welcome to the Conference
    09:00
    Dr Daniel Peterson
    Key Note Speech: The Mainstreaming of ME Research
    09:15
    Dr Andreas Kogelnik
    Key Note Speech: Making ME Mainstream: Strategies for ME Research and Collaboration
    10:00
    Dr Rakib Rayhan
    The Role of the Brain and ME
    10:40
    Plenary
    Questions
    Refreshment Break
    11:05
    Professor Greg Towers Retroviruses and ME
    11:35
    Professor Mady Hornig Pathogen Discovery in ME
    12:20
    Plenary
    Questions
    Lunch
    13:15
    Dr Clare Gerada
    Govt NHS Reforms: Implications for long term chronic conditions such as ME – for GPs and Patients
    13:45
    Professor Sonya Marshall-Gradisnik
    Current Knowledge of Immunological Biomarkers
    14:30
    Dr Amolak Bansal
    Clinical Immunology and Research on B-cell Abnormalities in ME Patients
    15:00
    Plenary
    Questions
    Refreshment Break
    15:25
    Professor Carmen Scheibenbogen
    Immunological Basis of ME
    16:05
    Professor Olav Mella
    B-cell Depletion Therapy Using Rituximab in ME/CFS - Part I
    16:35
    Dr Øystein Fluge
    B-cell Depletion Therapy Using Rituximab in ME/CFS - Part II
    17:05
    Plenary & Summary
    Dr Ian Gibson - Questions
    Adjourn
    Snow Leopard and Blue like this.
  14. sianrecovery

sianrecovery Senior Member

Manchester UK
    Sounds like it will an interesting conference. I look forward to hearing back. And from experience, just because you are presenting at a conference doesn't mean you are going to listen to a word of anyone else's papers. It's perfectly possible to parachute in and out and just do your thing.
    Maybe its an invitation Dr Gerada would have felt a little awkward in refusing, given the history. On balance, I think it's a politically very astute invitation from whoever decided to extend it.
    Those videos really are awful.
  15. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Interesting that she's not talking about ME/CFS directly ... probably the safest course :p
    Shell likes this.
  16. natasa778

natasa778 Senior Member

London UK
    Isn't Dr Gerada soon to be an ex-chair of RCGP anyway?

http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/news/po...next-rcgp-chair/20002930.article#.UaPMkYIU7d0
    Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.