• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Intestinal cramps/gas leads to major cognitive improvements! Why?

Rolo

Too ill to twist
Hi,
Over the last 15 years, I've learned a lot about food, diets and the associated symptoms, but there's one strange thing where I can't find an explanation for.
Whenever I get intestinal cramps (+ gas) my cognitive functions are improving a lot and even my energy levels are rising. It feels like my intestines are getting alive again, more blood is directed towards them, probably together with more oxygen. At the same time my constant stomach cramps seams to disrepair. Like blood is transferred from the stomach to the intestines (and head). It's not a minor change. It's really a totally different world where I'm in. It's like I'm completely healthy again. At least for a while.
I have a similar reaction (but not so strong) just before I have to got to the toilet or when there is upcoming episode of diarrhea.
I can actually trigger these cramps (and gas) by eating some garlic (or onions). Probably because these are high in fructans and fructans are known for creating cramps/gas if you can't tolerate them. I'm fructose intolerant.
Or is it there antibacterial effect that is triggering something. It looks that the immune system is involved somehow, because sometimes I measure an increase in body temperature and occasionally even a short period of fever.
By the way, only gas will not have these same effects. Cramps are essential. The heavier they are, the bigger the improvement.

Does anyone recognize this? Can anyone explain what's happening?
Thanks for your input
Bye,
Rolo

TCP36

I'm not giving up, despite the setbacks and BS!
I've known for a long time the link between gut and brain...all nerve related. I had redness, headache and weird feelings for years with constipation affecting my neck and head on left side and since the autonomic and peripheral neuropathy flared up I have more pain, headaches, feeling of sickness and changes in brain function. My symptoms are related to my gut and like you foods trigger it like ones that produce gas like beans, onions, garlic, sugars etc. AS the gas and needing to go to the loo cause pressure on the nerves then there are changes in other parts of the body, too affecting BP as well.

Enid

It's a long shot but I'm no scientist - I think it is due to the motility or lack of in the GI tract at any time. Taken together from my Neurologist who mentioned weak antismooth muscle antibodies (perhaps chronic viral infection) suspecting too a compromised colon function at least (all or nothing in my case) the problem is to do with the nerve supply. I don't know the answer except aids to try to restore normal function as much as poss - eg diet. In my case a course of antibiotics for another problem did wonders for the GI tract. And yes I'm much clearer headed when the bowels behave/evacuate a little more normally, and any wind build up released.