1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
New Exercise Study Brings Both Illumination and Questions
Simon McGrath looks at new objective evidence of abnormal response to exercise in ME/CFS patients, and the questions that researchers are still trying to answer ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interview with Mikovits at symposium in Leuven

Discussion in 'Media, Interviews, Blogs, Talks, Events about XMRV' started by Jemal, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

At the symposium last week In Leuven, a small interview was done with Mikovits by Mediplanet (a website for Belgian health professionals). It was taped and posted on their website. The first part is in Dutch, from 0:37 it continues in English as questions are answered by Mikovits.

http://www.mediplanet.be/nl/node/91...m=email&utm_source=Emailvision video 16062011

No new information or anything, but I am thinking many will enjoy hearing from her.
  2. Enid

Enid Senior Member

UK
    Lovely to hear Jemal - many thanks. Good to see how all her researches progress too.
  3. justy

justy Senior Member

U.K
    Thanks for the link Jemal, it was nice to hear her interviewed and easy for me to understand for a change!
  4. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

They also interviewed DeMeirleir at this symposium.
    http://www.mediplanet.be/nl/node/91...m=email&utm_source=Emailvision video 16062011

It's in Dutch, but magnetronnie from the Dutch forum has posted a translation (with permission to repost):

5. omerbasket

omerbasket Senior Member

I think that the most interesting things she said there are:
    1) They expect the BWG study to be finished by the end of the summer.
    2) They hope ("maybe") to finish with the Lipkin study by the end of the year.

To me, the summer-sort-of-date for the BWG study to be ended is new.
    I really hope that those studies will be designated and done as good as possible, and hopefully they would give us a clear direction.

There is a talk with Kenny De-Meirleir on that page. Now, I haven't been able to access it - but I saw that someone on the other forum said it wasn't in English. Another user there translated (though he said he is not an expert in English, so perhaps it should be taken with cautious) the interview:
    Introduction:
  6. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I am Dutch and I checked the translation first, it's pretty good. No caution needed.
  7. Nielk

Nielk

Queens, NY
    Is it just me or does Judy seem very subdued?
    I'm used to always seeing her full of life and here she seems like she is sleepwalking - or rather sleeptalking?
  8. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

I have not seen enough of her to say if she is subdued or not in this interview.
    She has been travelling a lot though, so the activity and jet lag might have made her run out of energy for a moment?
  9. RRM

RRM

I may be not Dutch but "tensions" should really be replaced with "expectations". The expectations are really high within the patient community, is what the interviewer meant to say. The Dutch have a way of saying "high tensed expectations" to explain that expectations are really high, which has probably confused the translator.

Other than that, I agree it's an accurate translation.
  10. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

You are right RRM, the interviewer said "verwachtingen", which should be translated as "expectations". It's very difficult to correctly translate something when you are not a professional translator. I always make mistakes like this as well when I try to translate stuff.

It's not 100% accurate I guess (as I said "pretty good"), but the message was pretty well translated. I don't think I could have done better.
  11. Sing

Sing Senior Member

New England
    What a pleasure to see and hear her again! I noted she was speaking more quietly than other talks, but perhaps that is because the sound recording was right near her mouth and she knew she didn't have to speak up. On the other hand, when standing in front of a room full of people, she's perhaps seen that as a situation which calls for speaking out.
  12. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Switzerland/Spain (Valencia)
    Judy Mikovits said that some people are finding positive results in one of the two large studies. I don't know if she meant the BWG or the Lipkin study, but that's interesting. It's the first time i've heard something about the actual testing in one of these. Of course, as long as the codes are not broken yet, you can't really know what the results mean.
  13. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

Now i've also watched the interview with KDM. It's interesting, but "at least 3 more years"? Forget it, we just don't have any more time to give away. This is not meant against him or the other people working for us, but you just can't tell me that if you allocate the necessary resources you can't answer the XMRV question faster than in 3 years. In the end it's a matter of the will of our politicians to give these resources or not (and to some part what our community is capable and willing to give, but this can never match what public budgets could do) and if they would finally seriously help us, i'm sure we could see other timeframes.
  14. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Humans are capable of great deeds. I am sure we could crack ME/CFS in a different timeframe, when enough people worked together and there were lots of resources.

But as things are right now, the 3 years might even be an optimistic guess? At least if you expect successful treatments by then for a virus like XMRV. At the moment they are still arguing if this virus is really in patients! There's at least three more hurdles to take after that: it must be proven that the virus plays a significant role in our disease, a successful treatment must be found and then approved. Do we see this all happening within 3 years? I am not so sure, unfortunately...
    I really hope I am wrong though.
  15. eric_s

eric_s Senior Member

The thing is that in the tranlation here he is quoted as mentioning 3 years until we have a full picture of the role of the virus in the disease. I didn't understand him as talking about treatments.

We will see, but i just don't think anyone has the right to tell 1 million people they just have to wait and wait, lose time and health, while a small group of researchers with very limited budgets are trying to figure things out step by step (at times even with obstacles being put in their way).
    Budgets are tight, i can understand this, but there is money, others are getting it, and this discrimination must stop.
  16. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Yes, he is talking about the picture of the role of the virus. I got carried away yesterday a bit. I just want to see effective treatments... and if DeMeirleir thinks it will take 3 years, before we understand if and what role this virus plays in our disease, treatments are still a long way off.

It's hard to stay positive with this disease.

Maybe we will see show shortcuts though. If an organisation can start a treatment trial and prove a large number of patients improve on certain drugs...
  17. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    De Meirleir said that in a public interview, yet, in his own practice, he is now treating patients with protocols he is finding over 50% effective. I am one of them and I am being helped--not miraculously fast--but slowly. I'll take this till something better comes along. I am just choosing to be hopeful as any gain is better than a loss.

Sushi
  18. Jemal

Jemal Senior Member

Any help is welcome Sushi, I agree. Many can't afford to go to a doctor like De Meirleir though (because of travelling or money restrictions) and are stuck with "regular" doctors who have no idea what they are facing. I hope DeMeirleir will publish results of his protocols when he feels confident about them, so that other doctors might start using them as well.

See more popular forum discussions.