• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

interpreting results from holistic heal's comprehensive methylation panel

sianrecovery

Hi Guys

I just got test results back from Holistic Heal's methylation panel, with single mutations listed for:

MAO variation R297R
ACAT 1-02
MTHFR A1298C
MTRR A66G
MTRR 11
BHMT 1
CBS A360A
SHMT C1420T

There's also a long and expensive list of recommended supplements. Now, I understand its my responsibility to go away and research the real meaning of these results - but can anyone give me a helping hand? And has anyone else followed their supplement recomendations, and with what results? I am already doing Rich's protocol, and have just started the HPU Core stuff too.

All feedback gratefully received

Sparrow

I just got my results back too. :) I don't want to prey on your thread, but I'm also interested to see if anybody has good resource recommendations to share. :) I can feel your pain in trying to hunt down quality and informative information about these things - I'm not in a good state right now for intensive research, but even so it's been a lot harder to find than I thought it would be. I hope you won't mind if I add mine to the mix in case somebody can help.

In case anyone has insights, this is me:

COMT V158M +-
COMT H62H +-
VDR taq ++
VDR foq +-
MTHFR 3 +-
MTHFR A1298C +-
MTR A2756G +-
MTRR A66G +-
MTRR R415T +-
MTRR S257T +-
BHMT 1 +-
CBS A360A +-

I found this site quite helpful to me so far, though it doesn't seem to have anything that isn't in the HH pdf file that comes with the test results. It's probably worth reading the whole thing if you're up to it - I found that knowing what's working properly is almost as informative as knowing what's broken.
http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

Months ago, I remember coming across a web page where Rich von K had analyzed somebody's results for them, but I can't find it again now that it's actually relevant to me (isn't that always the way?). If anybody knows what I'm talking about, I'd love to take a look and see if the person analyzed has anything in common with me. Any other input would also be welcomed.

In terms of my own totally non-expert and as yet woefully under-informed opinion, from what I've learned it seems like if you're already doing Rich's protocol, you've probably got a lot of the key pieces covered. It seems like much of the mutations on genes starting with the letter M mean you need more methylB12. :) The other thing to consider might be reducing your intake of sulfur-rich foods a bit (though I'm not sure how bad of a sulfur issue your mutations would create. They're similar to mine). I'm not sure yet how the MAO one connects to things, except that it might have been involved in how badly I responded to antidepressants, so you might want to be cautious with those if you aren't already (though I have the ++ version and the VDR mutation, so they could make it worse for me in particular). All I could seem to find on the MAO stuff was some Dutch family and a bunch of mice who were all crazy aggressive, which does NOT sound like me. :) Hopefully others will have good resources to share.

Good luck with the search, and let me know if you come across anything useful. And here's to the excitement of having answers, even if they can be tough to find. :)

sianrecovery

thanks Sparrow - you made me laugh with the image of the dutch family and the mad mice! I spoke to a doc today who said she wasnt that familiar with how to interpret these tests, but that the double mutations were probably the most significant because they were the ones the body really had to work at finding another round for. i dont know if that's true. sigh - I guess I really will just have to trawl through all the holisitc heal stuff.

drex13

the heartfixer link above seems to missing some of the info (starting with COMT). Anyone have a link to the rest of the reference?

Here are some links. One is to heartfixer, and might be the same one as listed above. The first one is actually a pdf version of Dr. Yasko's book, "Autism: Pathways to Recovery".

http://www.dramyyasko.com/wp-content/files_flutter/1327512160_9_1_1_8_pdf_02_file.pdf

http://www.heartfixer.com/AMRI-Nutrigenomics.htm

http://www.vsan.org/rok-az/methylation/Genetic_Analysis_Report_summary_sheet_1.pdf

HowToEscape?

I'm sorta confused here -- I thought the methylation panel tests were only available from one outfit on the West Coast and one in Norway?

I want to get the m panel test - thought I don't understand exactly what it is. I'm currently doing a simple methylation protocol, bc I could not previously afford or arrange the tests.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I'm sorta confused here -- I thought the methylation panel tests were only available from one outfit on the West Coast and one in Norway?

I want to get the m panel test - thought I don't understand exactly what it is. I'm currently doing a simple methylation protocol, bc I could not previously afford or arrange the tests.

What people refer to as the methylation panel is only available at: http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/ which has a branch in New Jersey and one in the Netherlands.

The Yasko test is genetics related to methylation and is more expensive.

Best wishes,
Sushi

HowToEscape?

What people refer to as the methylation panel is only available at: http://www.europeanlaboratory.nl/ which has a branch in New Jersey and one in the Netherlands.

The Yasko test is genetics related to methylation and is more expensive.

Best wishes,
Sushi

Thanks. For someone with CF/ME/whateveryacallit what purpose is served by doing the Yasko test? After 6 years I'll try anything that has some reasonable chance of .... ah, you know the story here.