1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
ME/CFS: A disease at war with itself
We can all agree that ME/CFS is a nasty disease, particularly in its severe form, but there are abundant nasty diseases in the world. What is unique and particularly confounding about our disease is that so much controversy surrounds it, and not only surrounds it, but invades it too.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

International Conference on Vector-borne Diseases 2014 May 26th - 27th, 2014, Oslo, Norway

Discussion in 'Lyme Disease and Co-Infections' started by Helen, May 25, 2014.

1. Helen

Helen Senior Member

katim, Hanna and Valentijn like this.
  2. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    This could be very interesting. Great speakers. They include lab directors from both Igenex and Infectolab, as well as many very respected clinicians and researchers who are studying and treating Lyme and co-infections.

Sushi
    merylg and Valentijn like this.
  3. Hanna

Hanna Senior Member

Jerusalem, Israel
    Has someone some info on this conference now ?
  4. Helen

Helen Senior Member

I got a report from a doctor who were there during the two days. Testing is rather different between countries and there is so far no 100 % valid test. The most promising might be the LTT test and if anyone will be able to culture the spirochetes and show in a study that this is valid. As far as I understood no test is proved valid in any study. Pulsed treatment with antibiotics was discussed as an option. Four days of antibiotics and three days off a.s.o.

About treatment, Dr. Horowitz had good speeches and all of it and more, should be in his latest book. Also Dr. Burrascano had good speeches, but I didn´t get any specific news from it. He has generously published this guide free (http://www.lymenet.org/BurrGuide200810.pdf) . Too many of the speakers were difficult to understand because of accents. I haven´t got any information yet about the DVD´s that will be for sale. Sorry I don´t have more to tell from the conference, but I will buy the DVD´s and try to tell if there are important news.
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
    Hanna and merylg like this.
  5. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    That's how mine will be. 6 weeks of the first antibiotic, 4 days on and 3 off. Then 6 weeks of a different antibiotic with 3 days on and 4 days off.
    Hanna, Helen and merylg like this.
  6. Helen

Helen Senior Member

Interesting. Do you know your doctors reasons for that? What kind/brands of antibiotics are you on?

Now I recall that another way of pulsing was mentioned too. 4-6 weeks on and then some weeks off. And so on till the symptoms are gone. Anyone on this protocol?
  7. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I don't know the doctor's reasons, but from what I've read it sounds like some antibiotics stick around for a few days after taking them for a few days. I'm on IV rocephine first, then IV azithromycin.
    Helen likes this.
  8. Sushi

Sushi Moderator and Senior Member Albuquerque

Albuquerque
    Yes, the protocols for IV abx seem to be different--I think they do act longer. With orals it seems to usually be every day.

Sushi

See more popular forum discussions.