1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
The ePatient Revolution
Ryan Prior shares his experience and his thoughts from attending the Stanford Medicine X Conference as he contemplates the rising of the ePatient Revolution ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interferential current therapy via electroacupuncture: significant benefits / recovery from ME/CFS

Discussion in 'Alternative Therapies' started by Hip, Jun 23, 2014.

1. biophile

biophile Places I'd rather be.

At first I was surprised that TENS/ICT and even electro-acupuncture allow currents as high as 100mA peak into a 500 ohm load, but then I read that they use brief pulses (250 microseconds or less), and/or high frequencies (several kilohertz).

Last edited: Jul 9, 2014
  2. Hip

Hip Senior Member

Not yet, but I'll get round to it at some point.

3. xks201

xks201 Senior Member

As someone who has read thousands of pub med studies I can assure you that the Asian studies liberally use the word cured. They don't use cdc definitions of anything. A cure in and of itself of cfs is questionable without serious follow up and differentiation of the patients that were cured in regards to changes in other variables resulting from or a priori. The way they design their studies is to basically prove the validity of Chinese medicine at all times. I've never even seen a Chinese study saying they failed to achieve their goal. For that reason I don't take it that seriously. Pumping electricity into the nervous system will stimulate anyone. The question is did these patients have the improvement needed basically to fix their broken alternators that would enable that electrical battery in their body to function or did it just give them basically a temporary fix that is required thorough constant electrical acupuncture even after the fact?

I am very excited about applying electrical impulses go but take all of their studied with a lot of grains of salt.

MeSci, Hip and Valentijn like this.
  4. kangaSue

kangaSue

Australia
    Nothing to do with interferential current but seeing as the discussion involves electroacupuncture, this study may be of interest to the group http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17078435 "The therapeutic effects of electroacupuncture and auricular-plaster in 32 cases of chronic fatigue syndrome"

See more popular forum discussions.