1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Join the National PR Campaign for ME: Power to the Patient (P2tP)
Have you had enough of all the neglect and abuse of ME/CFS patients? Gabby Klein says now is the time for a National PR Campaign for ME/CFS to impress a change. Join the Patient Revolution to restore power to ME patients ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting VDR Variations

Discussion in 'Genetic Testing and SNPs' started by Valentijn, Jul 29, 2013.

1. Valentijn

Valentijn Activity Level: 3

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Correct. VDR Taq G is the slower allele, hence the one which would use up less methyl groups, and possibly cause less tolerance of supplements containing methyl groups.

2. LynnD

LynnD

Would some of these effect how absorbing vite D or how transporting it or how utilzing it?
    I usually have low, even though eat organic turkey liver, out in sun...
    if take alot, got leg cramps, so probably need with minerals and maybe K (all in liver I think and onions and vegies).
    They just said osteoporosis and biophosphates,dont want those, heard bad things. Cant increase menerals more or get more stomachaches. only have 1 of "risky" rs11574115...T362I...GG, rs731236.....Taq1 GG, rs886441. C4004T AA,will ck others later.
    what do intergenics mean?

3. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    VDR is just triggered by vitamin D. But if there's low vitamin D, it can make VDR problems even worse, and supplementing D3 can help VDR function better if it has a problem.

4. LynnD

LynnD

Thanks
    ok, will go find the D3 bottle, (seems to be ok to put on skin)
    and try some.

5. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Thanks for this thread, Valentijn!

I'll go back and edit my thread from last night to include these, but I seem to have a few :sluggish: (sluggish) ones:

rs11574115...T362I...G.....GG..... +/+
    rs731236.....Taq1....G.....GG..... +/+
    rs7975232....Apa1....A.....AA..... +/+
    rs1544410....Bsm1....T.....TT..... +/+
    rs2239179....A1064G..T.....TT..... +/+
    rs886441.....C4004T..A.....AA..... +/+
    rs3819545....T6046C..G.....GG..... +/+
    rs11168287...C8857T..GG.....GG..... +/+
    rs7139166....G1520C..CC.....CC..... +/+

I had been a bit concerned that I was advised to keep my serum Vitamin D above 70 (reference range 30-100), or, the way I think of it, above 57% of the reference range. I need to take 10,000 IU of D3 daily to do this, and it seemed kind of high. I think I won't worry about it, from what you say about needing to have the D always present for the VDR to always find it.

Thanks, too for that last link to the publication - being a woman, I didn't worry about the cancer part, but the list of 4 Vitamin D metabolizers and 8 signalers gives me some other genes to look into that might explain why I need to take so much of it. I'd put my money on a fast-metabolizer variant or two.

Valentijn likes this.
  6. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    I've got a correction to make to the initial list (already updated) - there's no known risk associated with T362I. Rather it should have been flagged with "A?" instead of "G", as the A variant is very rare and hence somewhat interesting.

Something else to keep in mind is that when Bsm1 and Taq1 match up, they're basically saying the same thing, and having both of them is no worse than having one of them.

I double checked your other results with my notes, and they're correct :p

Critterina likes this.
  7. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    OK, so I'll take T362I off my list. Genetic Genie had put my Taq rs731236 as -/-, so I was surprised it came up +/+ here.

Valentijn likes this.
  8. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    They go with the Yasko interpretation to keep the fans happy :p But almost all of the research says the Bsm +/+ and Taq -/- are the marginally riskier versions. The real problems might occur when Bsm and Taq aren't matching up.

9. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Good appointment today, and this discussion of having Vitamin D available when your receptors are slower came into play. I thought I'd be the first to lobby for a lower dose, but instead she suggested it and I defended staying where I was in order to be at the Vitamin D serum level that she wants me at. Practical, practical!;)

Valentijn likes this.
  10. Valentijn

Amersfoort, Netherlands
    Just to clarify, the extra vitamin D can result in vitamin D levels getting high. But that can help keep VDR activity at normal levels, when your VDR has slow mutations.

Critterina likes this.
  11. Critterina

Critterina Senior Member

Arizona, USA
    Thanks for the clarification. My Vitamin D levels are now at 64% of the reference range - I wouldn't say that's high, but it's probably good not to reduce my dose.

Valentijn likes this.

See more popular forum discussions.