• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting research on gut microbiota, inflammatory disease and food emulsifiers

eafw

In Nature

"the gut microbiota provides important benefits to its host, especially in metabolism and immune development, disturbance of the microbiota–host relationship is associated with numerous chronic inflammatory diseases"

"agents that disrupt mucus–bacterial interactions might have the potential to promote diseases associated with gut inflammation."

"Here we report that, in mice, relatively low concentrations of two commonly used emulsifiers, namely carboxymethylcellulose and polysorbate-80, induced low-grade inflammation and obesity/metabolic syndrome in wild-type hosts and promoted robust colitis in mice predisposed to this disorder."

Rest of the preview here:

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v519/n7541/full/nature14232.html

snowathlete

In Nature

"the gut microbiota provides important benefits to its host, especially in metabolism and immune development, disturbance of the microbiota–host relationship is associated with numerous chronic inflammatory diseases"

"agents that disrupt mucus–bacterial interactions might have the potential to promote diseases associated with gut inflammation."

"Here we report that, in mice, relatively low concentrations of two commonly used emulsifiers, namely carboxymethylcellulose and polysorbate-80, induced low-grade inflammation and obesity/metabolic syndrome in wild-type hosts and promoted robust colitis in mice predisposed to this disorder."

Rest of the preview here:

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v519/n7541/full/nature14232.html

No surprise to me. Lots and lots of foods have these in them. Cause they're cheap. Also doesnt stop them adding things like polysorbate-60 to topical treatments for things like ulcerative colitis. Guess what happened when I tried that...Increased inflammation.

currer

polysorbate 80 is in almost all steriod nasal sprays - it is in mine. Funny - I had a recurrence of gut problems after heavy use of this spray - I will stop it and see if improvements occur.