Review: 'Through the Shadowlands’ describes Julie Rehmeyer's ME/CFS Odyssey
I should note at the outset that this review is based on an audio version of the galleys and the epilogue from the finished work. Julie Rehmeyer sent me the final version as a PDF, but for some reason my text to voice software (Kurzweil) had issues with it. I understand that it is...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting research on gut microbiota, inflammatory disease and food emulsifiers

Discussion in 'Gastrointestinal and Urinary' started by eafw, Mar 12, 2015.

1. eafw

eafw Senior Member

UK
    In Nature

"the gut microbiota provides important benefits to its host, especially in metabolism and immune development, disturbance of the microbiota–host relationship is associated with numerous chronic inflammatory diseases"

"agents that disrupt mucus–bacterial interactions might have the potential to promote diseases associated with gut inflammation."

"Here we report that, in mice, relatively low concentrations of two commonly used emulsifiers, namely carboxymethylcellulose and polysorbate-80, induced low-grade inflammation and obesity/metabolic syndrome in wild-type hosts and promoted robust colitis in mice predisposed to this disorder."

Rest of the preview here:

www.nature.com/nature/journal/v519/n7541/full/nature14232.html

2. Denise

Denise Senior Member

jepps and ahmo like this.
  3. snowathlete

snowathlete

UK
    No surprise to me. Lots and lots of foods have these in them. Cause they're cheap. Also doesnt stop them adding things like polysorbate-60 to topical treatments for things like ulcerative colitis. Guess what happened when I tried that...Increased inflammation.

jepps and ahmo like this.
  4. currer

currer Senior Member

polysorbate 80 is in almost all steriod nasal sprays - it is in mine. Funny - I had a recurrence of gut problems after heavy use of this spray - I will stop it and see if improvements occur.

See more popular forum discussions.