New Atmosphere, New Vision: Gibson and Whittemore Kick Off Invest in ME Conference 2016
Mark Berry reports on Dr. Gibson's introduction and Dr. Whittemore's keynote speech, at the 11th Invest in ME International ME Conference in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting reading on "normal" TSH and CFS/fibro and inflammatory diseases

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS Discussion' started by jess100, Mar 14, 2017.

1. jess100

jess100 Senior Member

I just came across this and I'm posting it because it seems to answer the question I've seen so many times about thyroid involvement and CFS/ME. So many people ask if they can feel bad but have normal TSH levels. This answers all of it-and the relationship to chronic illnesses. There is WAY more on the website-it is very much worth reading.....I'm just posting enough to show the basic premise and how to find the page. I wish I had found this years ago
    https://www.nahypothyroidism.org/deiodinases/#depression

Deiodinase type I (D1)
    D1 converts inactive T4 to active T3 throughout the body, but D1 is not a significant determinant of pituitary T4 to T3 conversion, which is controlled by D2 (1,7,10). D1 but not D2 is suppressed and down-regulated (decreasing T4 to T3 conversion) in response to physiologic and emotional stress (11-22); depression (23-45); dieting (46-51); weight gain and leptin resistance (47-91); insulin resistance, obesity and diabetes (91-99); inflammation from autoimmune disease or systemic illness (11,100,102-115); chronic fatigue syndrome and fibromyalgia (121-125); chronic pain (116-120); and exposure to toxins and plastics (126-134). In the presences of such conditions there are reduced tissue levels of active thyroid in all tissues except the pituitary. The reduced thyroid tissue levels with these conditions is often quoted as a beneficial response that lowers metabolism and thus does not require treatment, but there is no evidence to support such a stance while there is significant evidence demonstrating it is a detrimental response (135-142).

In addition, D1 activity is also lower in females (143,144), making women more prone to tissue hypothyroidism, with resultant depression, fatigue, fibromyalgia, chronic fatigue syndrome, and obesity despite having normal TSH levels.

ScottTriGuy and Basilico like this.
  2. Wishful

Wishful

My Tsh was normal before my problems started. Now it's mildly elevated (5-8) but I don't have standard hypothyrodism symptoms (my preferred room temperature is 12C) and T4 and T3 supplements have no effect on my symptoms. What does work is T2 (3-5 diiodothyronine) or iodine (some of which gets converted to T2). Every three weeks, my symptoms increase significantly, and stay high until I take some T2 or iodine. This should mean something to the right expert.

3. mermaid

mermaid Senior Member

Cornwall, UK
    I have been diagnosed with primary hypothyroidism some 20+ years ago now, but despite treatment with thyroid hormone am still ill (also later diagnosed with ME/CFS). I suspect that this article explains some of my issues with thyroxine as I believe I don't convert well. My TSH did go up at one point but was mostly in the normal range once treated with thyroxine.

I was on T4 only for 17 years, with a lot of fatigue and related symptoms, then on T3 only for 4 years, with some improvement a bit up and down - but I think there are a lot of low cortisol issues too. Currently am on NDT for a couple of months, but not doing very well so far on it probably due to the conversion issues again. I am trying to improve my cortisol levels to help....very difficult to put it all right it seems.

See more popular forum discussions.