1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
California 2014: IACFS/ME Day Three: Translating Science into Clinical Care: 22 March 2014
Day Three, and Searcher continued to deliver the goods. We hear about the PANDORA national survey results, a very big familial case study from Spain, results from the Canadian Community Health Survey, more results from epidemiological studies (and a look at treatments and...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting lecture on failings of evidence based medicine

Discussion in 'Other Health News and Research' started by user9876, Dec 1, 2012.

1. user9876

user9876 Senior Member

http://truthman30.wordpress.com/2012/12/01/david-healy-time-to-abandon-evidence-based-medicine/

I've just listened to this lecture by prof Healy on the failings of evidence based medicine. He makes a lot of interesting points starting with the traditional regulation of trials. But he goes on to cover adverse effects where the adverse effects from a drug overlap with the disease, a brief mention of the issue of scales.

I liked one comment he made around if you can show a good effect with 10 patients why do you need a bigger trial. He also said there is no point of a rct if you cann't define your patient

His basic thesis is doctors are ignoring evidence of adverse effects because trials tell them they don't happen. He runs an organisation called risk.org for reporting and sharing adverse drug effects.

Many of the issues we have with trials are mentioned.
    natasa778, MishMash and AFCFS like this.
  2. AFCFS

AFCFS Senior Member

NC
    Thanks for the post, the link is actually rxisk.org.

- I hear stuff like this, makes me think opium dens, cheap alcohol and cigarettes were the "good old days" of drugs.
  3. Sasha

Sasha Fine, thank you

UK
    This used to be accepted as obvious in evidence-based medicine.
    AFCFS likes this.
  4. Esther12

Esther12 Senior Member

See more popular forum discussions.