• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Finding..Uric Acid

gregh286

Hi all,
I bought uric acid meter some time ago as it was always borderline high.
Recently, I started to measure it and notice uric acid spikes during crashes,
Normally it sits around 7-7.5 mg/dl. It can spike to 13-15 mg/dl during a crash.
It resettles at 7 again after.
Have been reading quite a lot on this forum about Peroxynitrate theory from Pall and Rich Vank, http://phoenixrising.me/treating-cf...-theory-by-martin-pall-ph-d-part-i-the-theory

Anyway..thought i would share it:)

Seven7

Seven
Lower your protein intake, check what drugs you are taking (immunovir will increase uric acid) and there are natural supplements to lower it if all this fails.

Elph68

This fits in with what I just posted ..... Ureaplasma and Staphylococcus epidermidis produces uric acid ....

CFS_for_19_years

Hoarder of biscuits
Urea should not be confused with uric acid. Elevated levels of uric acid are found in gout.

http://gouteducation.org/patient/what-is-gout/uric-acid
As cells die, they release substances called purines, which are also found in some foods. Purines break down and are eliminated as uric acid. Uric acid typically dissolves in the blood and then passes through the kidneys, where it is eventually eliminated through urine. If there is more uric acid than the kidneys can get rid of, a condition called hyperuricemia – or high uric acid in the blood – develops. This can lead to the development of crystals in the joints and other tissues. When these crystals accumulate, they can cause a painful attack of gout.

Not everyone with hyperuricemia will get gout – but once it develops, it is likely to return, unless treated by medicine to lower uric acid levels.

Monitoring Uric Acid Levels
To avoid gout and other problems, uric acid levels should be 6.0 mg/dL or below. A person with a level above 6.8 mg/dL is considered to have hyperuricemia.

Most experts agree that lowering a person’s uric acid level can prevent the painful consequences of hyperuricemia – particularly gout. Medical professionals measure your serum uric acid level through a simple blood test. Just as it’s important to monitor your cholesterol, it is important to know your uric acid levels. People with gout should have their uric acid levels tested every six months to be sure it is below 6.0 mg/dL

You may want to read up a bit more on gouty arthritis:
http://www.arthritisservices.org/gout.html

Gout is a type of arthritis that is caused by the formation of microscopic crystals in the joints and surrounding tissues. It is a common cause of arthritis that may result in periodic attacks of joint pain and may cause a more chronic, deforming type of arthritis. This article will discuss the causes of gout and the approach to treatment.

What causes gout?
Our bodies produce a chemical called uric acid as a byproduct of the normal breakdown of our own cells and of foods rich in components called purines. If the uric acid becomes elevated above normal this chemical may form into crystals that can then be deposited in and around the joints. When these crystals are detected by our immune system, a series of responses occur that result in inflammation. This inflammation is characterized by redness, swelling, warmth, and pain. Once this episode of inflammation subsides, the joint may return to normal.

What causes the uric acid to become elevated?
Uric acid levels become elevated due to the over production of uric acid or due to a decrease in excretion of uric acid in the urine. Diets high in purine rich foods such as meat, seafood, and alcohol (especially beer ) may contribute to higher levels of uric acid.
Diseases which result in an increase in the production and death of our cells, including psoriasis and some cancers, may also cause an increase in uric acid levels. A decrease in kidney function related to aging or diseases affecting the kidney may also cause the uric acid levels to rise. Finally, some medications such as diuretics (used to treat high blood pressure and fluid retention) may contribute to elevated uric acid levels.