• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Engineering: New Research Sheds Light on the Mystery of CFS

Kalliope

I follow Interesting Engineering on Facebook (together with over 7 million others) and to my surprise they've written an article on ME-research :woot:
New Research Sheds Light on the Mystery of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Megan Ray Nichols

- A new study may have found the answer — or at least a piece of the puzzle that is chronic fatigue syndrome. The disorder may, in fact, be related to the body’s immune system. Normally, when the body fights off an infection, the immune system goes back into standby mode after the infection has passed. In individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome, it appears that the immune system doesn’t go back into this standby state after it has defeated the infection.

- Whatever the case, researchers now have a place to start. They’ve accepted the fact that chronic fatigue syndrome is a real thing, and they know how to diagnose it

Here is a post on Facebook from Interesting Engineering about the article, in case anyone wants to take part in the discussion.

I think it is wonderful with such reports about the research field that reach a broad audience.

Last edited:

Barry53

It's a pity the author didn't state the research in question, which would have leant much more weight to the words. And the ad showing someone daintily sneezing with hayfever is a bit unfortunate. But nonetheless I agree, it is good to see this coming more into the open.

anni66

mum to ME daughter
I follow Interesting Engineering on Facebook (together with over 7 million others) and to my surprise they've written an article on ME-research :woot:
New Research Sheds Light on the Mystery of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome - Megan Ray Nichols

- A new study may have found the answer — or at least a piece of the puzzle that is chronic fatigue syndrome. The disorder may, in fact, be related to the body’s immune system. Normally, when the body fights off an infection, the immune system goes back into standby mode after the infection has passed. In individuals with chronic fatigue syndrome, it appears that the immune system doesn’t go back into this standby state after it has defeated the infection.

- Whatever the case, researchers now have a place to start. They’ve accepted the fact that chronic fatigue syndrome is a real thing, and they know how to diagnose it

Here is a post on Facebook from Interesting Engineering about the article, in case anyone wants to take part in the discussion.

I think it is wonderful with such reports about the research field that reach a broad audience.
Sadly the facebook posts reinforce the udyal stereotypes, perhaps worth multiple corrections ....

Hajnalka

I have to stop reading comments (edited to say: not here, on the general internet :)). No matter how good an article or video is (don't know this one, can't open) the comments are heartbreaking. On facebook:

Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is also known as "Being a Parent"
I'm always tired and drained... but that's probably because I work hard for my money

And these are harmless compared to other articles. What's wrong with people? It's all because of this stupid name CFS that I hate so much. (Sorry, bad day)

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope

Oh, I'll start to follow them

HowToEscape?

I have to stop reading comments (edited to say: not here, on the general internet :)). No matter how good an article or video is (don't know this one, can't open) the comments are heartbreaking. On facebook:

And these are harmless compared to other articles. What's wrong with people? It's all because of this stupid name CFS that I hate so much. (Sorry, bad day)

That execrable name is highly suggestive. Before I realized I have the disease myself it sounded like "you complain a lot" disease.

I wouldn't take it personally it's just an uninformed reaction to the name, not the substance. That name needs to go away for that reason.

Barry53

Can everybody except me open the article?
I notice that when the article opens it puts up a pop-up window as per ...

upload_2017-9-12_17-9-47.png

I wonder if your browser is blocking any sites which try to do this? There are browser setting which affect this, but I cannot check at the moment. Anyone else help check this?

Hajnalka

@Barry53, Thanks for your help! My laptop claims the site https://interestingengineering.com/ does not exist. In addition, my laptop gets apparently very sad when I try to read something about engineering (see screenshot). But that's ok, article is not important enough to spend evening fighting with sulky laptop. Maybe my computer is afraid that I will see newer and better computers if I visit an engineering/tech site. Or that we won't spend so much time together anymore if I read the smart article with recommendations and get healthy. Who knows.

Bildschirmfoto 2017-09-12 um 18.35.01.png

Attachments

• upload_2017-9-12_18-39-35.png
    upload_2017-9-12_18-39-35.png
    515 bytes · Views: 4

*GG*

I notice that when the article opens it puts up a pop-up window as per ...

View attachment 23719

I wonder if your browser is blocking any sites which try to do this? There are browser setting which affect this, but I cannot check at the moment. Anyone else help check this?

I had the Notification show up, I blocked it, and can still read the article.

GG

Hajnalka

I don't even get the notification, just a grey page (looks like laptop has brainfog) with this sad looking little page. But it's ok, just let me know if article mentions a cure. ;)