1. Patients launch a $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Never Ask Us if We're Hungry -- The Answer's Always No
There are three of us here and for many years, none of us ever got hungry. When our brains would turn to mush, when our faces would go numb, and we would start the invisible vibration which is the signature dance of ME/CFS, we knew we needed to eat.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting blog on CAA an CDC

Discussion in 'General ME/CFS News' started by alice1, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    And what about this strange comment

Doesn't this suggest that Dr. Vernon should be trusted? That she was not part of the CDC cabal? Apparently not - still Hillary states that CAA DNA is merged with CDC DNA. The woman had just said she was appalled at all that! No mercy from Hillary Johnson.

And of course no mention of all the good science the CAA is funding - the science that could only go to lock in this diseases legitimacy.

I did like this

That rang true!

I think this is true too

I'm not saying the CAA is perfect; we need more aggressive voices - we need more radical actions. I've been saying that for a long time but this is unfair

We have a difference in strategy - not a group selling out patients. I don't know why she doesn't get that. Why she has to go the demonization route - the sellout theme. The CAA didn;t get rich from the CDC; they did a job for them and while they made compromises they also got access to millions of dollars of govt funds for the media campaign. They could have shrieked and stayed poor or compromised to some extent and got the word out that CFS is a serious illness.

It sounds good - we'll see how far that goes; the govts history of scientific fraud and corruption.....we should have both actually - weepy human interest stories and organizations that dig into the underbelly of the government (which I will mention one last time - the CAA actually did recently).

Here is pure Hillary - an interesting and debatable point

followed by

in which she goes way too far once again.

And the whole thing about Suzanne Vernon. Suzanne Vernon IS working hard. She IS funding good research. She IS trying to create an International Network that should speed up CFS research. But since she's from the CDC she's dirt in Hilary Johnson's world.....Does that do any of us good? Really?
  2. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    Cort,do you know when this grant process is to take place again and if so how long before they make an announcement?
    I would hope that the CAA would be thrilled to grant funds to WPI.
  3. Cort

Cort Phoenix Rising Founder

Raleigh, NC
    I think with the recession and all they're probably struggling with money. I really don't know. They usually post it in scientific journals and I usually don't know anyway.
  4. charityfundraiser

charityfundraiser Senior Member

Think about this for a second. How easy do you think it is to get a grant for research on a secret? If they didn't identify it as XMRV, they couldn't have disclosed one of the main impetus for studying XMRV, the RNase-L connection with existing prostate cancer/XMRV research.

Is this like applying for a job with a resume with secret job titles, or for venture capital for a secret start-up idea?

I'd guess that they knew they could fund $100,000 themselves to get to the point of getting the big government grants.

In any case, the CAA delineated their grant review process, the majority of the selection process is out of their hands and in the hands of several dozen scientist reviewers in the field, as it should be.
  5. Khalyal

Khalyal Guest

Funny!

But lets not obfuscate the point.

Question - did the CAA turn down any funding requests made by the WPI?

Simple question, all joking aside.
  6. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

As Cort already said, the Association has policies that govern the review and making of grants. Those policies are available here: http://www.cfids.org/profresources/grant-policies.asp

Consistent with other grant makers, including NIH, the Association does not release information about a grant application unless it is selected for funding. This is standard practice in medical research because it preserves the ability of an applicant to apply to another funding source without word of a previous denial being out there.

This is why the Association can only say that it received no applications for XMRV research. It is against the grant policies (which were approved by the Board in 2008) to say anything about any application that was not funded.

On the other hand, the grant applicant can certainly make public comment about the success or failure of a particular application. Has anyone posed the question to WPI?
  7. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    Can the CAA visitors respond to Khalyals question since you would be the only
    ones who'd know.
    Thankyou.
  8. fresh_eyes

fresh_eyes happy to be here

mountains of north carolina
    Johnson states that 6 funding requests from the WPI were turned down by the CAA. I haven't heard anyone say that this is incorrect, so I would assume that it is correct.
  9. valia

valia Senior Member

UK

Spot on fresh-eyes, this would have been very quickly refuted if not true.
  10. Khalyal

Khalyal Guest

Wpi

Andrea Whittemore Goad posted something to the effect of the WPI being turned down by CAA for grant requests, on the CAA Facebook page.

(posted by Anne) @
    http://forums.aboutmecfs.org/showpost.php?p=17227&postcount=179

I saw it too, at the time.
  11. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    Thankyou fresh eyes and Khalyal.
    All orgs should be questioned and held responsible.
    I too believe one gets more with honey than vinegar but after so many years the pot becomes empty.
  12. jspotila

jspotila Senior Member

I don't think a post on Facebook can be considered a sufficient waiver of confidentiality for the Association to be able to release information on any applications submitted by WPI. Without such a waiver, the Association is bound by its confidentiality policies. Those policies protect all applicants from unwanted disclosure of confidential information.

As charityfundraiser pointed out several posts above, there is a distinct advantage to WPI (or anyone else) relying on private, direct funding. The Association's grant policies require quarterly progress reports from all funded investigators, as well as published reports through SolveCFS, CFIDS Link, and the Association's website. The WPI was able to avoid the oversight required by the Association, NIH or other funders. As a result, the circle of people who knew that XMRV was under investigation in CFS (let alone the remarkable results WPI achieved) was pretty small, and that contributed to the terrific splash and attention following the publication in Science.
  13. starryeyes

starryeyes Senior Member

Bay Area, California
    What the WPI submitted were for grants to work on finding biological problems in CFS. They couldn't have submitted a grant to find XMRV because they hadn't found it yet. However, they were denied grant money from the CAA and had to use private funding which led to the discovery of XMRV. The bottom line is, the CAA could have funded that research but refused to.
  14. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    The question I asked wasn't to stir up bad feelings between anyone on this board.
    I simply believe that when there are people who are to speak and act on one's behalf
    everything needs to be examined.
    And I start to lose hope when at this point it still appears that baby steps are what we have.
  15. PoetInSF

PoetInSF Senior Member

SF
    It's known that different people can come up with different versions of history. Hillary Johnson's version was written assuming it is an infection and it is a retrovirus from beginning to end, and anybody who disagrees is a part of the conspiracy. (And here we are, 25 years later, repeating the history). Given that her version contains so many unverified or now discredited claims in the hindsight of 2009, I'd read it with a grain of salt.
  16. fresh_eyes

For my part, I'm not trying to hold CAA's feet to the fire - I just want to know the facts, because I'm new to the CFS community and am trying to comprehend it. Though it's dawning on me that you can't ask questions about these topics without it becoming political very quickly.
  17. alice1

alice1 Senior Member

Toronto
    I agree fresh eyes.
    I thought it was just a simple question but apparently not.
    PoetInSF the salt never leaves me.
  18. Koan

Koan Be the change.

This is a really political illness. I know you are not saying this but, it would be impossible to ask people to ignore the politics. The politics play a big role in all of the individual issues and problems we face.

It's a really political illness.
  19. Marylib

Marylib Senior Member

New Zealand
    44 reviewers

CAA facebook says they are not able to divulge the names of the reviewers, so I guess we cannot contact them.
  20. fresh_eyes

Yeah, I'm getting that. I don't mean that people *make* all the questions political - rather that even (seemingly) simple questions turn out to have political dimensions I wasn't aware of.

See more popular forum discussions.