Phoenix Rising: The Gift That Keeps on Giving All Year Long
This holiday season Jody Smith turns her eyes to the people of Phoenix Rising and gives thanks for you all ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Interesting article

Discussion in 'XMRV Research and Replication Studies' started by Daffodil, Sep 12, 2010.

1. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

2. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi this article is publication of something that has been announced previously: the identification of specific virilence factor on the protein envelope. It means we can create a drug to stop this virus. If the amino acid sequene is highly conserved (meaning it cant mutate much without losing its function) then we can stop the virus dead with a good drug. This wont eradicate the virus, but it will stop it from hurting us.

Bye
    Alex

3. Daffodil

Daffodil Senior Member

alex...but these types of drugs take like 15 yrs to create. messing with viral gene expression is very hard.. a researcher told me. i just feel so defeated. im really very sick. i cant wait that long

4. alex3619

alex3619 Senior Member

Logan, Queensland, Australia
    Hi Daffodil

The kind of drug I was talking about is a medium term drug. We could do it in ten years, or even five, if there was enough will and money. In the short term, and I don't have fifteen years to wait either, other approaches will be used. This will start with antiretrovirals and immune modulators. Once we know which pathways are dysfunctional (i.e. some real research money goes into pathophysiology) we will have a cornucopia of drugs and supplemnets to treat CFS, all of which are currently approved. The problem is getting to that level of understanding - one good breakthrough could make it happen next year, or it could take even longer than developing an anti-envelope drug; theres no predicting it as it will rely on hard researchc, good funding, and serendipity.

Bye
    Alex

See more popular forum discussions.