• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Interesting Article on Sleep/Genetics

Red04

triffid113

Day of the Square Peg
I always try to think what could be the mechanism. I don't think you can permanently turn off gene expression. It may be permanent at the state of our knowledge of how to reverse it, but unless tissues are damaged beyond repair, biochemistry (epigenetics) should be reversable.

So here is one way genes coukd be turned off due to stress. Stress is known to use up B vitamins (needed to work the methyl cycle). Stress also uses up zinc (to make adrenal hormones) and zinc is needed in the methyl cycle for methionine synthase. There may be other substances used up by stress in addition. Tyrosine comes to mind as it is required for some of the adrenal hormones. So say you use these up at rate X, but then you resupply them with crappy American diet at rate Y. If Y<X, then your methylation is forever affected. DNA requires methyls to turn on/off. So you have affected your genes and it lLOOKS LIKE forever. But if you instead manage to make Y>X, you could reverse it. Making Y>X is what we are all trying to do in this forum. It is not as easy as it sounds because there are startup reactions and biochemical pathways that opne up causing peripheral deficiencies, etc. But ONCE you achieve Y>X, then your epigenetics should be fine again. Unless you got cancer and actually destroyed the genes. Even then, some cancers are reversable.

dbkita

DNA methylation is one of the prime mechanisms for controlling gene expression. Including activation, up and down regulation and silencing.