1. Patients launch $1.27 million crowdfunding campaign for ME/CFS gut microbiome study.
    Check out the website, Facebook and Twitter. Join in donate and spread the word!
Ergonomics and ME/CFS: Have You Hurt Yourself Without Knowing It?
Having a chronic illness like ME/CFS can make it hard to avoid problems that come from bad ergonomics. Jody Smith has learned some lessons the hard way ...
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Intense post-exercise headaches

Discussion in 'Pain and Inflammation' started by sming, Aug 4, 2014.

1. sming

sming

Hey,

anyone else get pounding headaches after intense exercise (soccer in my case)? Otherwise I hardly ever get headaches. I've always assumed it was one of my comorbids and/or meds. I don't think it's plain dehydration since no matter how much salt (via buffered salt tabs) & H2O I take on, the headache hits.

Cheers, Pete
  2. MeSci

MeSci ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6

Cornwall, UK
    If you have ME/CFS you should be pacing and resting, not exercising. It will make the condition worse, as many have found to their cost, but too late.
    Valentijn and rosie26 like this.
  3. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    me first thought match MeSci's that sounds like Post Exertional Malaise.

However much Soccer is creating the symptoms, you either need to stop doing it, or cut back to less than 75% of the amount that causes the symptom. That headache is a warning that you have done harm do to over-exertion - continuing as you are could lead to permanent worsening of your ME. Perhaps try playing one half and stop THAT if you feel symptoms that day OR THE FOLLOWING ONE .
  4. sming

sming

sorry guys I should have been clearer - I've completely stopped playing soccer since I realised I might have CFS. I'm into my 4th consecutive week of feeling well which is the best I've done in over 20 years (I'm praying I haven't just jinxed myself there).

If I achieve some semblance of health I'll gently start back exercising.
  5. Leopardtail

Leopardtail Senior Member

England
    :)

The yes (original question) doing too much mentally or physically can cause a whole range of problems including headaches / flu-like symptoms / exhaustion
  6. DeGenesis

DeGenesis Senior Member

If I exert myself like that I will get a pounding in my head that feels like there is too much blood in my head. My blood pressure and heart rate will also go very high. My dx is POTS though.

Perhaps your intracranial pressure is rising too high during exercise? Remembering to keep breathing helps me, and I remember reading that if you stop breathing during exercise, your ICP skyrockets.

There was an article on Cort Johnson recently about ICP and it's possible connection with CFS/ME.
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. sming

sming

Thanks (I had to look up ICP). I find that with soccer it's not possible to forget to breathe since it's so aerobic.
  8. ukxmrv

ukxmrv Senior Member

London
    Or lack of blood supply to the brain/head?

See more popular forum discussions.