The 12th Invest in ME Conference, Part 1
OverTheHills presents the first article in a series of three about the recent 12th Invest In ME international Conference (IIMEC12) in London.
Discuss the article on the Forums.

Inspiration for campaigners and advocates: Protest Works. Just look at the proof.

Discussion in 'Action Alerts and Advocacy' started by Bob, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    I found this article very inspiring... it's about the effectiveness of protesting and campaigning...

Protest Works. Just Look at the proof.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...est-works-just-look-at-the-proof-2119310.html

I found this bit especially interesting:

2. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    This story brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Bob. We have to keep trying.

3. camas

camas Senior Member

Oregon
    Interesting that he's drawing on the U.S. for inspiration since we're long overdue for some protesting in this country. I wish he'd also mentioned the Civil Rights movement that led to the Great Society social reforms. Johnson screwed up where Vietnam was concerned, but he wasn't all bad.

4. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

I'm no good for remembering exact quotes but that reminded me of a quote that says something like "Never doubt that a small group of people can't change the world* - indeed it's the only thing that ever has".
    * or "bring about change" or something

BTW, I'm a Dr. Spock child - my mum was big into him and referred to his book a lot when rearing me, or so she has said.

5. George

George waitin' fer rabbits

South Texas
    Serious tearing up on that one! (whooo)

6. Bob

Bob

England (south coast)
    Yes, that's a good quote isn't it Dolphin... It's actually quoted at the end of the article...

And did his rearing advice work out OK in the long term Dolphin? ;)

7. Merry

Merry Senior Member

Columbus, Ohio, USA
    Dolphin turned out great!

When my son was small, I depended on the advice of British parenting expert Penelope Leach. With good results, I must say. My son, now almost 28, is a very caring person.

8. Dolphin

Dolphin Senior Member

Thanks Merry. :Retro smile:

However, best that nobody else continues this. I'm sure some people think I didn't turn out great. But then I might think not everyone else turned out great either... So let's skip that one.

See more popular forum discussions.